Enough Pheasant for a Lifetime of Tying

Out4Trout

Out4Trout

Just love it when a friend brings me some pheasant he harvested. Just got done plucking and sorting. Will now dry and then freeze for a month and then should be ready to tie up. Anything else I should do to prep feathers? I thought since I plucked them they should be pretty clear of bugs. My OCD made me separate by kind and size.

Attachments

• IMG_3031.jpg
    IMG_3031.jpg
    194.8 KB · Views: 9
That many tail feathers would last me half a season at best lol

bigjohn58 wrote:
That many tail feathers would last me half a season at best lol

Yeah, I was going to ask him if he was planning on dying soon, if he thought that would last a lifetime.

It all depends on what kind of flies you typically tie and then if you fish with said flies. WRT pheasant tail feathers, 5-6 tail feathers would last me many years because I typically only use them for PHT nymphs.

1 averaged sized tail feather would allow me to tie 40 size 18 PHT nymphs. Maybe more....I probably lose or retire a 1/2 dozen of these nymphs each year.

I like the fine green and blue hackles from the upper back of the male between the wings. My son and friends just brought home 11 **** and hen birds for me to pluck. I also like the hen wing coverts for soft hackles.

I love tying with pheasant. My favorite pheasant pattern is Jack Gartside’s Sparrow Nymph. Three pheasant feathers are used. The dark brown pheasant marabou that is found between the legs of the male ringneck is the tail. The bluish-green back feather (mentioned above) tied in soft hackle style as a collar. One aftershaft feather (the small dun colored wispy feather found attached to the underside of the back feather previously used) is tied in as a head in front of the hackle collar.

The only part of the fly that isn’t pheasant is the body that is a mix of bunny and gray squirrel fur dubbing. I like to tie the body split thread style because it really defines the spikeyness of the squirrel fur.

This is a great pattern for catching many different species of fish (trout, salmon, smallmouth, panfish, carp). When you have one tied to your tippet and you pull it out of the water it looks like a small stick hanging on the end of your leader. When you dunk it back into the current these materials just come alive with action. The contrast of the materials and the movement of the materials in the current make this an absolutely deadly and effective pattern.

I bet I go through 150+ various styles of pheasant tail nymphs a year. Its my #1 go to style of fly!

Millsertime wrote:

....I probably lose or retire a 1/2 dozen of these nymphs each year.

I must be doing something wrong, cause I can lose that many in an afternoon.

Maybe I'm fishing my nymphs too close to the bottom.

Back