Emergers

BelAirSteve

BelAirSteve

So I've been doing a lot of reading and am ready to tie some BWO emergers. I notice that a lot of patterns call for antron, z-lon or polly yarn to represent the trailing shuck.

Ploy Yarn Shuck

I found a pattern that calls for cdc to be used as the shuck.

CDC Shuck

cdc seems to make as much sense as anything else. Anybody have an opinion? The only reason I as is I'm gonna tie some tonight, and I only have white antron, but I have dun cdc.

Thanks,

Steve

I tie an emerger pattern for caddis and mayflies that have a small loop trailing shuck (not a loop wing like the link posted). The loop trailing shuck adds some bulk to what is supposed to be the shuck and it also catches a fair amount of air in it, adding some float.

White antron becomes brown antron with a sharpie.

Brown antron is my choice, but doesn't hurt to try.

I don't like poly. I do like antron and z-lon. I also began to use marabou at the suggestion of some here, and have had success.

The cdc shuck emerger you posted is a good one for mayflies. I tie that one with antron and z-lon shucks as well as cdc.

As for caddis emergers, this and this are all I carry. The cdc and elk has also outfished more traditional mayfly emergers for me. It's a generally awesome fly.

i too have heard marabou is good for that

I always use Z-lon. It works well.

z-lon for wing post and shuck, dubbing and some hackle.

Back