emergers

flipnfly

flipnfly

ok while browsing patterns on the web i came across this and decided to change the colors and wing i wish i could take a pic of my small flies to show you instead ill explain i used a hares ear mixed with synthetic dubbing some oval gold rid some natural deer hair for the wing and black wing case with grizzly hackle how do you guys think that will do and what are some of your favorite generic emerger patters either mayfly and or caddis

I have a handful of hares ear nymphs tied with a foam wing case. There is no deer hair, just the basic nymph pattern with a small bump of foam substituted for the wing case. I can't say I've caught fish with them, but I probably have only tied them on a few times.

Attachments

• foamnymph.jpg
    foamnymph.jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 4
nice ties i also tied them on a scud hook sz 12

ok i think i got it let me know what you think

Attachments

• HEemerger.JPG
    HEemerger.JPG
    584 KB · Views: 2
heres my sulphur emerger i just tied

Attachments

• sulpher emerger.jpg
    sulpher emerger.jpg
    679.9 KB · Views: 4
Is the hackle on the first one soft? If that's stiff hackle, it may not float the way you expect. The sulfur emerger looks great. That is much like a Klinkhammer-style parachute emerger, a very effective style for almost all surface-hatching mayflies.

i was thinking that too im thinking of trimming the bottom so it floats flat

try using dry fly hackle and wraping the dubbing on the sulfur catskill style instead of parachute , it will ride vertical instead of more compardun like u tied it

Also might want to consider using CDC or snow shoe for the wing. I tie the wings at various length (angled back toward the bend) and use various lenghts of antron for the trailing shuck to represnt various stages of the emergence.

The CDC and snow shoe wing rides just about the water surface and I've done very well with this tie. In most cases during a hatch, I will fish tandem emergers instead of a dry fly. When I have fished a dry with a trailing emerger, my experience is that fish take the emerger 3 or 4 to one to the dry,

Dale

Back