Emerald shiner patterns

rancid waders

rancid waders

Anyone tying these guys up with any articulation spines, new materials,legs etc. My creative mind is already turning to cold weather pursuits

I tie what is essentially a marabou Clouser for these guys. It's olive over white with krystalflash in the lateral area.

Dear rancid waders,

After using Murdich minnows for the first time I think it would be pretty easy to use emerald shiner colors to make an effective fly.

We fished in clear water and the flies flashed and shimmered as well as a spinner blade ever did. Watching the fish respond to the flash was a lot of fun. For 30 years I used Clouser minnows or Wooly Buggers for streamers. Now I'm going to tie some Murdiches just in case. ;)

Regards,

Tim Murphy :)

Simple version.
Hook B10S
Palmer Chenille Medium Pearl
Ripple Ice Minnow Mix
Plastic Fish Mask 3 & 4 mainly
Fish Skull Living Eyes
Buck Tail
Flashabou

Works for me .
EF03AEEE 7559 44AB 82FE C49446605677

Here's one of my minnow patterns. I originally tied them for salt water to imitate silversides and bay anchovies. They work just as well in fresh water as a generic minnow pattern.

Bait fish1

Dear rancid waders,

After using Murdich minnows for the first time I think it would be pretty easy to use emerald shiner colors to make an effective fly.

We fished in clear water and the flies flashed and shimmered as well as a spinner blade ever did. Watching the fish respond to the flash was a lot of fun. For 30 years I used Clouser minnows or Wooly Buggers for streamers. Now I'm going to tie some Murdiches just in case. ;)

Regards,

Yo Tim Murphy,

Were your Murdich minnies fished on a floating line or on a sinking line? Were they tied with or without lead wire?

I tied up some Murdich minnies recently and they would barely get under the surface at all. They swam beautifully once under, but sometimes they didn't get below until after my fly was almost back to me. It was like basically a topwater fly. I know they are supposed to ride right under the surface but, man, not on the surface. I was fishing them on a floating line.

I went back and tied some Murdich/Deceiver cross type of mutant fly. Much Better. But still, not as good as many other patterns I fish...at least not that day.

Yo Tim Murphy,

Were your Murdich minnies fished on a floating line or on a sinking line? Were they tied with or without lead wire?

I tied up some Murdich minnies recently and they would barely get under the surface at all. They swam beautifully once under, but sometimes they didn't get below until after my fly was almost back to me. It was like basically a topwater fly. I know they are supposed to ride right under the surface but, man, not on the surface. I was fishing them on a floating line.

I went back and tied some Murdich/Deceiver cross type of mutant fly. Much Better. But still, not as good as many other patterns I fish...at least not that day.
Dear jifigz,

They were very lightly weighted. They just kind of drifted 2 or 3 inches under the surface but man did they flash and shimmer. Fish moved a long way to check them out but didn't always commit to eating them after the chase. It was frustrating and fun all at the same time!

Regards,

Dear jifigz,

They were very lightly weighted. They just kind of drifted 2 or 3 inches under the surface but man did they flash and shimmer. Fish moved a long way to check them out but didn't always commit to eating them after the chase. It was frustrating and fun all at the same time!

Regards,

I hear you.... I was first turned onto the Murdich by some guys that stopped by the WW Jam last year I hosted. I reached out to them to see about them and they stated they fish them on a sink tip or intermediate line or whatever. I have a sinking 6 weight line on a reel that I never us, but I don't want to use that as it would limit my other smallmouth methods. I think I will have to tie them with just a few lead wire wraps under the head.

I can see how they would be a dynamite pattern, though. I was just out last night fishing my Deceiver/Murdich hybrid and didn't get any takes but the fish weren't overly aggressive. I had to dredge bottom and then many nice fish came to hand.

Yes possible Murdich in smaller sizes than what I tie for bass and an olive marker or olive polar chenille pulled straight over top like the belly on a sparkle minnow

Back