Elkins WV

K

ksherbine

Anybody done much fishing in the Elkins area (Elk River, etc.)? Thinking of hitting it in a couple of weekends, and it looks like the water will be cool enough.

Looking for suggestions on where to either rent or camp, fishing suggestions, etc.

Thanks!
Kirk

I've fished South of Elkins below Huttonsville. There is a WMA called Kumbrabo that has cabins for rent. There is a Brook Trout stream by the cabins and the Tygart river runs along rte 219. I caught about 100 Trout in two days on the Tygrat river but that was in the spring. There is also Shavers Fork that has good Trout fishing. Kumbrabo WMA is really wild with Deer, Bear, Turkey and the cabins don't have electricity and you have to bring you own drinking water. The Monongahela national forest is there, am sure there are a lot of Brook Trout streams.

When they talk about Wild West Virgina they're talking about Randolph county.

I've gotten out to fish the Elk once a year or so for the last 20 years. The C&R section is in my mind some of the best fly fishing you'll find in the east.

As for accommodations, I's suggest checking out the Elk Springs Resort, which is located at the headwaters of the C&R section, http://www.elkspringswv.com/. The business has a a variety of accommodations, from rooms in a main lodge, to small cabins and camp sites. Also has a great fly shop and restaurant.

I'd also suggest booking Dave Breitmeier (http://www.elkfisher.com/); no one knows the areas waters better than Dave. Even if you don't book Dave, check out his fly selection. His BWOs fish extremely well.

Your best bet in the summer months is the Elk. Unless your up for brookie fishing tribs, the Elk is about the most consistent temp and flow combination you will find. There are other options but unless you "luck" into some thunder storms a day or two before your arrival your kind of limited.

Camping wise, there are very few spots to camp near the river itself. Your best bet is Elk Springs, or as mentioned above some cabins a short drive away or motels in Elkins. The Elk is about 45 minutes outside of downtown Elkins. I imagine you live in PA; if so DO NOT drive to the Elk via I-79 and through Sutton etc. Get off at Weston and go through Elkins, much shorter drive.

If you are up for brooke trout fishing I can give you some tribs as well. The Elk is one of my "home rivers" I guess you would say, even though I live two hours away.

As listed above Elkfishers.com - Dave usually has a stream condition report up every couple of days, also good site for knowledge of the river.

On Facebook you can look up Elk Springs Resort and they too usually have an update with a pic of the Mill Pool.

I have fished with Dave Breitmeier in July at Elk Springs and highly recommend him. He really knows the Elk River. We fished with tiny #32 flies that he ties on 9X tippet. One on top, and the other underneath.

I caught every trout on the dropper. I was amazed at how well this worked.

Back