elk hair caddis

C

chuck2701

is the elk hair caddis a good or bad choice for the opener here in pa? is this a dry fly or a wet fly? any reccamendations on a magnafyer for a hat I can't see these little flies? sorry about the spelling you can probably tell I am not the best speller.you can probably also tell that I am a newbie. fly fishing really interests me a lot but what a lot to learn and everything is so small but I really think it will be worth it if I can get good enough to catch fish on a fly rod.

Welcome to the forum. Don't worry about spelling. Many people misspell especially when using a cell phone. One easy way to check spelling is to google the word and google will correct the spelling.

As to your question, I don't have enough experience to answer but I think an elk hair caddis is a dry fly. I do know it's very popular as a dry fly.

I'm sure you'll get better answers from more experienced members of the forum.

The elk hair caddis is a dry fly. Is it a good choice for the first day? It wouldn't be my first choice.

While the elk hair caddis is an excellent pattern, I would not expect fish to rise a dry fly this early.

Recommended flies are streamers, big nymphs or eggs.

you can find magnifiers that clip on to a brim of your hat, there are a number of places that sell them. Check cabelas, and I think ****s has one.

For opening day I would try a form of emerger or some sort of soft hackle with a nymph dropped from that about 8 - 10 inches. It always works for me.

I use a "Flip Focal " brand magnifier and find it works great. There are different magnifications so be sure and try before buying.

The elk/deer hair caddis may not be the best fly to use on opening day, but I wouldn't hesitate to give them a try for stocked trout especially, and for a beginner.

They are highly visible to angler and trout, can resemble a pellet, and are durable when cast into trees and pulled loose.

Just to show how things are different every year on opening day, I would have used an elk hair caddis for opening day 2 years ago. The caddis were falling like snow flakes in January that entire weekend along Big Pine and the tribes. This year I doubt it, try some nymphs of black stones #14, hendricksons #12 and blue quills #16. Throw in an attractor pattern if the water's near 50 degrees.

Along with all of the other good advice here, remember one word. DEEP.

Back