Elk Hair Caddis

dc410

dc410

The Elk Hair Caddis has been a very well tested and proven pattern for a long time. Of the many different materials used for wings on Caddis dry flies I still think that natural elk hair is very hard to beat for keeping the fly floating. Lately I have had a lot of success fishing the EHC for native brookies and wild browns. My confidence level in this fly has gone through the roof. It has basically become my go to dry fly. Here in PA we have a lot of very consistent caddis hatches on many streams so they are a good bet over a large portion of the season. I have been playing around at the vise tying up some different variations of the EHC. Here is one I tied tonight. It is a CDC and Elk with a peacock herl body. Figured it would create more movement than a conventional EHC with a bit of flash from the peacock. Here is the materials list.

Hook - Mustad 94833 (light wire) size 14
Thread - 6/0 Black
Body - Peacock Herl
Hackle - Dun colored CDC feather
Wing - Natural Elk Hair

These are a very quick tie. I think my CDC may be a little long but it can always be shortened up while on the stream if needed.

Attachments

• Elk Hair Caddis.jpg
    Elk Hair Caddis.jpg
    20.4 KB · Views: 7
I like the peacock body; that's a material you can't go wrong with. I wonder if the wing could be darker to correspond with the body.

Thanks for sharing!

TC

Nice looking fly. Personally I just tie CDC caddis. IMO they are way easier and look a more like a bug and floats better. I also hate working with elk hair.

I often fish an EHC with a peacock herl body. Never cdc, though.

nicely stacked elk hair

Do you have trouble let with the cdc and elk caddis landing upside down when you cast it? I tied a couple recently, but they always want to land with the deer hair side down, so I've stopped fishing them. Of course I can't rule out the possibility that I'm tying them wrong...

+1 on the comment about the elk hair being nicely stacked. I had to look at it twice because at first it looked like it was cut with scissors at the end of the wing in order to get it so straight!

Jeremy,

I never really had a problem with them landing right side up. At least I think, I can always see the elk hair wing as it drifts toward me. Elk hair can be challenging to work with. It is important on an EHC to keep the wing totally on top of the hook. I always keep the elk hair pinched firmly with my left thumb and index finger until I have it tied in real good. Two loose wraps and then apply the pressure on your second wrap coming around the bottom and put the pressure on by pulling straight up your bobbin. This will tighten up your loose wraps and keep it all on top of the hook and not spinning around the hook.

Make sure you get all of the short and fuzzy stuff out of your deer or elk hair before stacking. The more you practice the better you'll get at it. My hair stacker is made out of an old shotgun shell so you really don't need all of those expensive tools. Don't give up on the EHC it really is an awesome pattern.

Good looking fly John, and effective as well. Not that I need another excuse to hit the vise but I'm gonna try some of those. Thanks.

Does anyone make a couple of loose wraps around the elk or deer hair before binding to hook? Is this advisable or recommended?

Yes you can do that, and it works to help keep the hairs under control. Take care to mind where your tie in point ends up doing this though, it can move on you. I did that as well until I got a grip on the pinch wrap. (pun intended) :)

Nicely tied. This is another instance where I just don't get the CDC. I can't imagine what those long fibers mimic. But if you have confidence in the fly that's half the battle.
Mike.

Here is a video of Hans Weilemann tying his pattern, the CDC & Elk (actually uses a deer hair wing). His technique for tying in the wing works really well for all hair wing caddis dries.

Back