Electric Wool pattern suggestions

Bocianka1

Bocianka1

Hey guys,

I was fortunate enough to get a hold of a bunch of Jack's Electric Wool (www.lv2nymph.com/) at the Fly tying Jam in February. Since i'm new to tying, i haven't tied any large streamers yet (wooly buggers being the closest thing)

I'd love some suggestions for videos on what patterns to tie that would make the best use of Jack's wool. With 14 colors to play with, i'm interested to see what i can make and catch with this. I only own a 5wt rod so patterns that would best be fished with that in mind would be great. I've only fished freshwater to date as well with my fly rod.

I read Jerry's Electric Wool Minnow post, but i need more step by step directions than that to try it for the first time as i have no experience with this type of fly.

Thanks for any suggestions you might have.

Bocianka1 wrote:
Hey guys,

I was fortunate enough to get a hold of a bunch of Jack's Electric Wool (www.lv2nymph.com/) at the Fly tying Jam in February. Since i'm new to tying, i haven't tied any large streamers yet (wooly buggers being the closest thing)

I'd love some suggestions for videos on what patterns to tie that would make the best use of Jack's wool. With 14 colors to play with, i'm interested to see what i can make and catch with this. I only own a 5wt rod so patterns that would best be fished with that in mind would be great. I've only fished freshwater to date as well with my fly rod.

I read Jerry's Electric Wool Minnow post, but i need more step by step directions than that to try it for the first time as i have no experience with this type of fly.

I'll work on that as soon as I get some free time

Bocianka1 wrote:
Hey guys,

Here is some flys I have done with it. One soft hackle and caddis pupa.

GenCon

Attachments

• spupa.jpg
    spupa.jpg
    194 KB · Views: 4
  • purple1.jpg
    purple1.jpg
    176.3 KB · Views: 4
  • pupa2.jpg
    pupa2.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 3
Those look great GenCon.

Since the purple isn't likely to imitate anything natural, are you just using it as a general attractor nymph? or do you fish for more specific circumstances?

Bocianka1 wrote:
Those look great GenCon.

Since the purple isn't likely to imitate anything natural, are you just using it as a general attractor nymph? or do you fish for more specific circumstances?

The purple if a soft hackle. Intended to be fished as wet. And yes it is just an attractor pattern. Sometimes trout really like the color. Purple has been used for years with soft hackles.

GenCon

I saw Jack at the show yesterday and he set me up with the colors for black nosed dace, a popular minnow pattern in PA. Here are my first ties with the material.

Maurice, I really like those. IMHO many streamers are tied way too heavy today. Meaning too much dressing for me. Yours are more sparse. Which I prefer. Nice job.
Fish catchers no doubt.

GenCon

Maurice, those look great. Do you weight the shank with lead too, or are the dumbell eyes enough by itself?

No weight on the shank. Just black thread to give the black stripe through the wool. The eyes are plenty enough weight for the streams I fish.

Nice!

How much does that material compress underwater? Dace are fairly slender bait-fish.

You put the weight under the shank so it would not invert the hook. Is there a reason why you would not want to invert the hook?

These are not criticisms. I like designing flies and your answers will be helpful. Thanks in advance.

It compresses to a nice streamlines profile. You are correct about the dumbbell eyes being tied on the bottom. This was to prevent the hook from turning over. Although the biggest one is indeed tied closure style.

Cool, thanks!

Back