Ehhhh?

• Thread starter StudentofTheStream
  • Start date
StudentofTheStream

StudentofTheStream

Well I figured I'd check in for any last words of wisdom on throwing fur and feathers for pike. I leave friday for a week long excursion into the quebecian wilderness in search of the water wolf.

I've got my flies tied ranging from 4" leaches to 8-9" mega divers, bunny bugs, whistlers and perch patterns I came up with. Lines ranging from floating, intermediate, 12ft sink tip and full sink 3.

Here's hoping for the big toothy critters to eat my flies.

Wire leaders.
Camera and video recorder (to capture some of those V wakes coming up behind your fly!)
I love the whistlers...that's my starting fly.

We'll be waiting for the pics.

Have fun, ehhhh.

I've got the wire leaders all ready to go. My buddy who is the whitest italian man you'll ever see brings more than enough sunscreen for an entire beach of people. In canada with the skeeters and black flies I think I'm the bug juice. Two battery packs for the camera should last me 8 to 9 hundred pics. Now I just need to get past the anxious anticipation.

Goals for the trip:
35" pike on the fly (I'll take any though)
10 lb walleye (very possible here)
Catch my first lake trout

I'm hopeful to have pics documenting all the above.

Braided line. Casts better than wire leaders. I've used it in the salt with good success.

Good luck.

Here's wishing you a great time. We're awaiting the pics.
(And stick with wire).

Thanks for the wishes guys. I just need to get my brain to realize I have to finish out the days work but unfortunately I think it's already on vacation.

Here's hoping for a great trip with some big gnarly tooth fish and God willing a safe return.

(Sticking with wire :) )

Bimini twist , and figure 8's.

Never needed wire for the toothy ones, just add a little heavy mono...

Well after settling back in for a week I figured it was time to get out the camera and post a few pics.

The fishing was off this year on Lake Kipawa as they had a really cold spring apparently and the fish just weren't available in the great numbers expected for such a trip.

Also found out the pike are fewer and farther between on the big lake than other lakes in Quebec but I still gave it a good shot. All in all we caught some walleye. The lake trout eluded us but I did manage to find some pike to take a fly. Not the 35"+ fish I was hoping for but nonetheless I found a few.

Notice the last pic of the 38" 13lb. pike my buddy caught our last evening while jigging for walleye. I worked hard all week for one like that on a fly and he wasn't even fishing for em. Such is life I guess but I was happy we managed at least one that size.

All in all a great time and a beautiful week to be on the lake, though I would have appreciated a few days of the rain we got in PA while I was away.

Attachments

• P6150247.jpg
    P6150247.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 5
  • P6160259.jpg
    P6160259.jpg
    125.9 KB · Views: 4
  • P6160260.jpg
    P6160260.jpg
    116.8 KB · Views: 5
  • P6160262.jpg
    P6160262.jpg