Echo vs Butter Stick

sgrim

sgrim

I'm considering an Echo glass or a Butter Stick in 2 wt for very small stream fishing. Does anyone have experience with either of these? reviews look comparable and price point is close enough.

thx.

I never fished the Echo, but I've fished a South Creek Rod Company glass rod, which was basically the same thing as the butter stick before Reddington mass produced them in factories, and it was SWEET.

Between the 2 I would get a Fenwick 5wt :lol:
Sorry couldn't help it. I have no experience with either. I would just caution you on a 2wt. Fiberglass rods, at least vintage ones, feel much lighter than their line ratings. EX: my Fenwick FL72-6 feels like a 2/3wt, is rated for 6 but casts a 4/5.
This to me is great because the 4/5 wt line deals in wind and loading better but the feel of a 2wt makes it an ideal small stream rod. If you get any wind, a 2wt line will frustrate you.

On that note, the South Creek I fished with was a 3 wt, that's what I used on it, and it was about perfect. So again, I'm going to assume the Butter Stick's line rating is right on.

Back