Echo Ion fly reel

streamerguy

streamerguy

Anyone have this reel? Looking into getting the 6-7wt one for my 6wt and possibly a future 7. Main target species are trout, smallmouths, carp, and steelhead. Just looking for a decent reel at or under $100 and so far this one has caught my eye.

i have their original echo reel and it was fine - made in Denmark by Danica.

i also have their 7wt for bass and bonefish. its a great, light fast action rod.

great Company. i trust them.

You have me intrigued on this reel. What a price for a company I trust. I own their Shadow Pe rod and really like it. Only ever have heard good things about their products.

I looked up the Ion reviews and there were some really in depth one. They all came back positive.

Not to sway you in any way, but there are basically 3 ways that a fly reel is made. First is the cheap plastic/graphite fly reels. Usually horrible drag systems in them and very brittle; should never go that route.

Next is cast aluminum. They make a mold and pour liquid aluminum in the mold. This is fairly sturdy, but in the average range for quality.

The highest quality is machined aluminum. They take a solid block of aluminum and using computer controlled machines drill out what they don't want. This is the most sturdy and best quality.

The echo ion is a cast aluminum and for under $100 is not bad, but there's a few other options out there for cast that will save you even a few more dollars than that. If you want the reel to really last you, then you should look for a nice machined aluminum reel.

Just my .02

The echo ion is a cast aluminum and for under $100 is not bad, but there's a few other options out there for cast that will save you even a few more dollars than that. If you want the reel to really last you, then you should look for a nice machined aluminum reel.

Just my .02

their website says its a hybrid - cast then machined. made the same ways as English Hardy's & Orvis used to be.....

imho anything Echo does/makes is quality.

^yeah I saw that also, and I have an old Hardy reel which I love and never had any problems with.

Anywho, I'm still shopping around and not set on anything yet, it's just that the Echo Ion caught my attention first.

http://oregonflyfishingblog.com/2012/06/19/echo-ion-fly-reels-product-reviews/

This was a really in depth review I read.

I have the 8/10 on my double hander and its a great reel for the price. I have even torn it completly apart and the only part that is not aluminum is the housing over the clutch bearing that seems to be polymer. And I am not a reel master, but the cork drag is well 3 very thin pieces of cork vs say my redington rise is 3 far thicker pieces of carbon.

And i like the cast frame then machined, but small casting like that seems fairly easy to have air pockets.

And other options you can go with a lesser known reel and still get a solid bar cnc'd reel for about $100 and ussually sealed.

I now own 4 good reels and an old scientific anglers 5/8 click n pawl. The redingtons (rise and pursuit), I have fished the most no problems what so ever, tba rise is a great deal with a lifetime warrenty. The echo sadly all I can say has not landed one yet, and the same for my no name chinese full cnc sealed body.

Personally my next reel if I were to buy another would be the sealed risen. Just because I have a feeling ryan would make sure I had a working reel no matter what.

Though my next reel will be something I turned on my own lathe straight from bar stock!

Good luck!

I had one on my 4 wt and it is very nice. I ended up switching it out for an Orvis Battenkill and gave the Ion to my Dad. Reading this thread and thinking about how nice that reel is/was I am wondering why I got rid of it....

Personally my next reel if I were to buy another would be the sealed risen. Just because I have a feeling ryan would make sure I had a working reel no matter what.

I probably will end up going this route. Still if anyone has any experience with the Echo feel free to share, can never have enough reels!lol

Best reel for under $100 IMO.

I own the 6/7, use it for steelhead and smallmouth probably 20 times a year

Overall it is a good reel, I have had problems in very cold weather (under 35) the spool and reel seems to shrink differently causing the spool to rub, might just be a small bend in mine that is excerbated by the temp.

I have had the drag break, but it was replaced by my local shop

For the price there probably is nothing better, maybe similar, but not better

Just ordered a 8 for a switch rod im building.

Back