echo ion 10wt

plombardo

plombardo

anyone know anything about the echo ion 10 weight??

I have 2 Echo rods and I like them both but I'm not familiar with the Ion series. I have heard good things about all of their rods but haven't experienced the Ion first hand.

I know that they will warranty any rod for the life of the rod regardless of owner. They charge a flat rate of $35 I believe.

Ckeck em out at www.rajeffsports.com

I've cast some Ion rods but never the 10wt. I really like Echo rods as I own 5 different wts and models. If you're lookin at a 10wt though I would really consider the TFO BVk rods. It's about 60 bucks more but at 4.5 ounces it won't wear you out and they cast very well.

YMMV but some food for thought.

will it throw two 6/0 hooks??

Pat,
Sweet fish!!!!!

i would imagine they both will throw 2 6/0 hooks but i think the more pertinent question is can you?

can't say i've ever tried that but i would certainly consider that to be a 'chuck and duck' situation with the 'duck' being a prostrate position as not to get one of those suckers in ya.

pinching the barb in that situation might be way more for your benefit than the fishes.

what kind of fish are you tryin for with a tandem 6/0 set?

biggest i've thrown is a 11" 5/0 streamer for muskie/pike with my 10 wt. haven't tried 2 at a time though.

I purchased the echo ion 10 foot 7 wt. this year for steelhead. I really like the rod. I'm sure the 10wt is nice too.

My 10wt experiences were full of pain and anguish at the end of the day, but I was able to throw 5/0 streamers, I won't say ease...I don't think anything with a "fast" 10wt is easy.

Then again, as the guy I hired to boat me around the estuaries of Cape May nicely remarked, I cast like a trout fisherman. I took it as a compliment. ;-)

I'm sure a 10wt rod could throw a reasonably sized double 6/0 streamer, as long as you didn't include a pound of lead and sopping wet bunny hair.

I did not use an Echo rod, however.

I beating myself up fishing a 8wt. double 2/0, 4/0, and 5/0 I can throw them, but it isn't pretty. My buddy has a grey 10wt. I don't want to throw that kind of coin out. ION seems like a nice priced rod.

Attachments

• IMGP0634.JPG
    IMGP0634.JPG
    60.4 KB · Views: 3
  • IMGP0633.JPG
    IMGP0633.JPG
    17.5 KB · Views: 5
Ah I see what you are saying now. I pictured you throwing 2 flies with 6/0 hooks with a 12-18 section of line connecting the two individual flies. Instead it seems you mean articulated flies with said hooks.

I'm sure any 10 wt will do that without much trouble. The biggest factor being the extra weight and taper of the fly line itself.

Have you test cast any rods in a 10wt yet?

sorry, articulated flies...nope haven't tried one yet. The shop in my area only ever had two ten weights in stock.

Ive got a ten foot 8 wt for stipers, i use it in the surf, the action is alittle stiffer than id liked but it works to your advantage for casting distance. its alittle heavy but it shoots line great, i use a 8-9 wt line 300 grn and it cuts through the wind big time, big flies up to maybe 4/0s but i dont think i need bigger than that. The only downside is the weight to it, its heavy and tiring,until you pair it up with the right line. I had an intermediate 8 wt line on it and that was like casting stones. All in all though its my first season with it and i am stoked about it and it is quickly becoming a favorite.

Back