Eastern PA Spawn

T

TYoung

I was fishing the Little Lehigh today and noticed spawning activity. I didn't see any fish sitting on redds, but I did see some redds. I also spotted fish that looked to be pairing up with other fish. I saw some good size brown trout that are usually not seen most of the year. While walking in the heritage section I spotted a nice brown trout that looked to be clearing sediment from a small section of the stream bed. The fished had its side of it's body facing down, and was using its tail to fan away the sediment. This was the first time I've seen anything like that. In the same general are I saw two stocked rainbows together in the open. I wonder if the are going to attempt to spawn.

Spent three days in southern York Co surveying three Brown Trout streams this week. No redds, no pairs, no eggs released as fish were held. A number of males in warmer segments of one stream were thin and may not spawn.

FlyGuy9 wrote:
Don't rainbows spawn in the spring?

Yes, this is normally the case.

However, in PA it is not uncommon to see wild rainbows that spawn in the fall. This is thought to usually be a result of these fish being not far removed from hatchery fish that are modified to spawn in the fall.

I saw two actively spawning pairs on redds at Saucon Creek on 11/5. Both were very close to the bank and in less than a foot of water. Be careful where you tread.

Back