East Branch Clarion River

Jlafko3

Jlafko3

Can anyone give me a little insight into what the water system is like? I have never been to the river and want to make a trip. I do know it is a tailwater fishery, but aside from that I'm not sure about anything. Is it fast riffles with boulders? Is the system more of a uniform river with a few deeper slots here and there? And is it wadeable? How are some of the hatches? Any sort of insight would be fantastic thank you!

I was there once, and fished it briefly. The tailwater stretch, below the dam, until you hit the confluence at the Clarion proper in Johnsonburg is relatively short, a few miles. It didn't fish well when I was there, when everything else we fished on that trip, did. FWIW. The habitat was just meh, beyond some man-made deflectors in the DHALO section that I'm sure get fished hard. It's on the bigger side of medium sized at that location I'd say...maybe 50-75ft wide. Plenty wadable as long as flows are manageable.

There was more appetizing water in the tribs, or the main branch, short version.

I fdsh the feeder streams. GG

I fish EB of the Clarion often. Especially during the warm months. It's a bottom release dam so it stays cold in the summer. You will still want to wear waders. Lots of structure, boulders, man made stuff and deep pools and riffles. The fishing pressure is sporadic. Some days everybody is there and others you have the entire dhalo to yourself. You'll catch mostly rainbows. However we have caught some nice wild browns and brookies. There is a road across from the dam inn. The road is pretty rough. It has lots of pull offs and a parking area at the end. Also the dam inn has good food and beer! Good Luck!

Thanks everyone, sounds like it's pretty hit or miss there. Hopefully when I make a trip it's a day where things are going right!

Its a tailwater system and there is some acidity in the watershed, so hatches are sparse at best. Stocked rainbows are most common with a few wild browns and brookies, but they do holdover and a few get bigger. I generally fish attractor style nymphs or dries. It also seems to be an on or off fishery, I've had great days or days with nothing at all. Its best fishing if the EB clarion river at EB dam gauge is below 3 feet. Tight lines!

It stays low and clear when all of the other streams in the area are blown out
And that's the only time I go there.

The only aquatic insects I've ever seen, is a sparse sulphur hatch in June ,that can get some fish working.
And an even sparser caddis hatch around the same time

I've also caught fish on terrestrials

my camp is only 30 min away, so i fish it a lot in the summer months... as other said good flow and cold water through out the summer.. not much insect activity ....its one stream i wish the fish comm would make an effort to improve

Back