Eagle Claw Feather Light - worth it?

J

Jimbo87

Hey Guys,

I'm new to the site and the sport, and I'm in the phases of putting together a rod set up. I wasn't sure whether or not to put this in the beginner section, but since it is gear oriented I thought that it may have a place here.

In any event, I recently found an 6'6" 4/5 Eagle Claw Featherlight rod for $25 for sale, after some research, I found it goes for roughly $35 new. This sport is not something I am taking a whimsical pass at, I have been fishing for a while and thoroughly enjoy it. I just recently decided I would probably enjoy the additional challenge of fly fishing.

The question is this: Is this rod a decent cost effective approach to start so I can use my other funds to get a decent reel, line, array of flies etc? Or am I just wasting my time with this rod?

Ideally, I'm looking for a rod that would be an investment, something that I can use for a decent length of time that as I learn and get better, the rod will still be enjoyable and not a hindrance. I'd much rather have it be frustrating up front and then reap the benefits of a decent rod at a decent price later, than waste $25 dollars now that could have been put towards a rod with a bit more longevity. Budget for whole set up is approx $200, rod, reel, line, flies.

Long winded first post....if you made it through that, thank you!

Nice little rod if you plan on fishing very small streams. Particularly streams with lots of cover.

A "typical" starter rod is a 9' 5wt. There's many out there that you can get for a decent price. Cabela's three forks for example.

I won't drown you with too much info, so there ya go!

Jimbo,

Since you're from Downingtown, I recommend you stop in to see Dan at the Orvis Store in Downingtown. He will give you some great advice to get you started. HTH.

Yeah I agree with Ry...that would make a fine rod for small, brushy streams, and you'd probably be able to catch fish with it on larger streams too, but a longer rod would probably be more versatile as a starter rod, and make things easier on ya as you're learning casting and mending. Something in the 8-9', 5 wt range is what I'd recommend for a good all around rod. I'm not sure if you can get the Featherlight in longer lengths, but that's an option. BPS and Cabelas have pretty good starter combos where you get rod/reel/line/leader all for under $100. I'd agree with Ry...Cabelas Three Forks probably being the best of those.

Of course it all depends on the streams you'll be fishing though. That little 4/5 wt Featherlight would be about perfect for small Brookie streams.

Thanks for the replies guys! Yeah, I guess I should have stated my objective a bit better. For now, my only intent is to fish smaller streams like the Brandywine, French Creek for trout - but it would also be nice to be able to use it in streams like the Little Lehigh, Pine Creek, Loyalsock, you know - stuff up state a bit.

Afishinado - I have been planning on a trip over there, I guess what's holding me back is fear of price haha, but I'm sure the information would be nice all the same.

Ry, Swattie - yeah, I was thinking about road tripping up to Cabellas this weekend to get lost in the aisles upon aisles of rods, reels, lines, whatcha-ma-call-its...especially since they're running $20 off any online order over $120/30 right now. That way I could get my hands on some rods and get the feel of them before blind ordering online.

My .02$. Spend a little more money on the rod. If your budget will allow it. Also get something in the 8-9' 4-5wt range. It will be easier for you to learn with a rod of those lengths as opposed to a shorter rod. I use a 8'6" on almost every outting. Unless iam fishing small brookie streams.

Agreed with all on the rod. Put the money there and go cheaper on the first reel/line. Also - 100% agree on length. Gotta go 8-9 for the first rod. The streams u mentioned are not what I or anyone here would probably call 'small streams' and a 6 ft rod wouldn't be effective at all. We are talking smaller brooks that you can literally step across for a 6 ft rod in most cases. The longer rod will also be good for bluegills on Marsh Creek as well as smaller bass too so it will give u more versatility.

Feel free to hit me up to fish too since we are close.

I'l start by saying that I've got the featherlight 6'6" and love it.

But as the others have said, it's definitely not the most efficient for most situations. It shines on small/tight streams, but I would go longer (8' or 9') for an all-around rod.

Thanks for all the help guys, I really appreciate it. Coming into this it's kind of overwhelming, from the lines, to the rods, to figuring out how the hell the over all system works...a bit daunting.

I guess I thought that 8 or 9 feet would just bee a pain/too big on creeks like the Brandywine, I mean, you gotta understand I'm coming from the perspective that I sometimes catch myself thinking my 5'6" spinning rod is too long! Completely different styles I know...but, I'll get there.

bring that little rod up here for a few days in the beginning of the week and we'll show ya where to fish it....

Back