Dying monofilament for ribbing

O

outsider

I dye monofilament for ribbing on nymphs and dry flies. For dry flies I use 4 lb. mono to reinforce dubbed bodies. Helps to keep them from getting shredded, and adds a bit of segmentation.

For nymphs it adds segmentation and color. For example, one of my favorite colors is Rit golden yellow. It provides a similar color that gold ribbing provides (although it does not have the flash that gold tinsel has). 4 lb. mono for small nymphs, and 6 and 8 lb. for larger flies. You can dye a variety of colors to suit. You can also vary the shades by the amount of time the mono sits in the dye.

Don't know if this topic was discussed in the past. Thoughts?

I haven't seen it discussed on here before.

What kind of dye do you use?

I use Rit dye, mostly the powder form. Put a little water in a small pot, add a little dye, add a little salt, heat it until it almost boils. Take it off the burner, then put the mono in. keep a plastic fork handy to check the color as it sits. Take it out, let it air dry a bit, then rinse with cold water.

I make loops wrapped around my hand with the mono, then I use a twisty to keep the loops in place. I don't suggest using your wife's pot.

I rib some of my favorite flies with just mono. Would be interested in trying some different colors.

I also want to add that I use Trilene XL soft monofilament, primarily because I had some laying around, not being used. My point is: use soft mono, easier to wrap.

I like the idea, if you used smaller mono just think of the cool mono bodies you could make. Then with different colored thread underneath...

The idea came to me when I was in Jack Mickievicz's basement watching him dye some feathers for me. I asked him if monofilament would retain the dye color, and he said it would, as it is slightly porous. I also learned the dying process from him. He is a master at dying, among all the other things he contributed to fly tying tools, materials, etc.

Please tell me how you say his name. Lol guys ask me what dubbing I use on certain patterns and when it his his I say.... Jack Michikikiwiyzfjshsyshebdjsj. Lol Celtic Angler dudes dubbing.

Phonetic spelling for Mickievicz: mick ah witz.

Lol thanks.

Kind of off-topic, but since I was the OP..........

I also use Trilene XL 4 lb. mono as tippet material. The actual test strength is greater than 4 lb. So instead of paying $XX for a dink spool of fly fishing tippet, I pay $X for a much larger quantity.

And 3 out of 4 trout prefer Trilene over any other brand. They told me so, and I listen to them.

lv2nymph wrote:
I like the idea, if you used smaller mono just think of the cool mono bodies you could make. Then with different colored thread underneath...

there are some bonefish flies like that - crazy charlies, bonefish specials that wrap 15lb mono etc in different colours.

dyed mono has been used for years, used to be able to buy it. might still have a roll. Ernie Schreibert used it on his flies. the dettes and darbees used it also. this was before advent of larva lace and other plastic ribs.

I use cortland camo for ribbing and also for tippet. I respool old tippet containers with various weights of camo mono. Seems to work.

Most ribbing is used to add weight to the fly you are tying, using monofilament defeats the purpose, as does using mylar ribbing and flash.

I can't remember ever utilizing ribbing for the sole purpose of adding weight to a fly. If I choose to weight a fly (which I seldom do), I use lead wire wrapped around the hook. Even metallic gold tinsel adds minimal weight to a fly.

Lol used to add weight. I don't know if Chaz is exibiting the absolute perfect trolllllll or if he actually believes the pure manure that spews from his mouth.

Ribbing can add weight to a fly, I never thought it was it's main purpose. It segments the body, like say an insects abdomen. It can also add flash and wear resistance or just decoration like old school streamers. A little harsh there Becker, you should be nice to your elders, especially Polish ones, like me.

Obviously everything adds weight to a fly. The ribbings purpose is primarily for weight.

Some of my best fishing friends are Czech\Slovak and Polish. I am mean to them also, but at no time was I directing my scour for stupidity to you.

for the size of fly tying wire we use for RIBBING (only), the wire does NOT add any SIGNIFICANT WEIGHT to a fly

use a gram scale and weigh up an inch of any size ulta wire

Back