dyeing

eunanhendron

eunanhendron

Not sure how many folks do their own dyeing, but it definitely adds to the fly tying experience, and is very easy.
Heres some stuff i just dyed today. Was going for sunburst, I think it worked out well, at least with the cape. My (wife's) hairdryer went kaput before i got everything dried, so she may make me go kaput when she gets home from work!

Everything went in except the large bucktail
2012-12-26_14-30-39_5.jpg

Bubbling bath
2012-12-26_14-49-20_728.jpg

All done, dye fixed, and rinsed in cold water.
2012-12-26_14-56-51_747.jpg

The hen cape, before the hair dryer crashed.
IMG_0196.JPG

Pretty pleased with the outcome actually.
I used jacqard acid dyes in the approximate ratio 601 Yellow Sun 2.5:1 618 Fire Red

Looks good. Maybe you can do a step by step walk through on how this would be done by someone who barely knows how to fly fish, let alone dye and tie? :D

I just boil water in a steam kettle and pour it into a stainless steel bowl - along with the dye - and add the materiel to it there, and let it soak.

I usually try dying just a small amount of the materiel first - kind of a test run - before doing the whole shebang. Just to make sure things are gonna turn out the right shade I'm looking for.

Does anyone know of a source of chartreuse i.e. neon green dye?

The same color as the green weenie chenille in the fly shops.

I like to use flydye and Dharma Trading has good acid dyes as well. Good color selection and cheaper than the flydye. Dharma has great degreaser that is cheaper than synthrapol as well.

i've also used a store on ebay called its.all.about.the.wool to buy acid dyes, which worked perfectly. Thing is they dont have a picture of each individual color, though they do give a number, so you can check it up online for a close approximation.

Here's the link to the ebay store. I bought the prochem wash fast acid dyes, though cushing are good too.

Here's another store i found searching for the one above with a nice deal on 6 acid dyes.

When dying material watch you temps. Don't boil bucktails or other hides. They will not take it. And keep feathers under 150. Temps are crucial. Ya wanna keep them up to help set dye but not enuff to destroy em. Also set your dyes (acid dyes) with vinegar.

Be cautious , mixing vinegar with some acids , like in the case of a spill , can cause an almost explosive reaction , in the case i remember it was amonium chloride and hydrochloric acid and it was also industrial strength stuff but i'd still read all the safety stuff and be careful. HAVE FUN!!!!

The house hold vinegar is 5%. 6% is the highest I found. I never had a reaction when using it.

Back