Dyeing White zonker strips

K

Kill3ducks1deer

Im broke so buying white zonker stripes and dyeing them would be nice compared to buying several different colors, whats the best way to dye them though? Saw a few different ways, but figured I should ask on here as well. At the moment planning on red if that makes a difference.

Thanks for any info dudes.

I've heard good things about rit dye for tying materials. You can mix colors to make your olives and brown-olives that aren't readily available. Never have tried it though. I think in the long run you might save some money, but short-term you'd probably be better off just buying the material in the color you want.

Though, if you want to be really cheap, I've also heard that kool-aid makes a good dye. Not sure why anyone would use it as opposed to just plain food dye, but like I said it's something I've heard of people doing. Maybe something to do with the acid in the mix helps to. Better penetrate materials than plain dye in water? Never tried it either, so I can't say for sure.

rit then set with vinegar

Sharpies! Or Pantone markers in assorted colors

JG63 wrote:
Sharpies! Or Pantone markers in assorted colors

Maybe in a pinch, but I find that markers mat the fur together and just make a sticky horrible mess. It is also hard to get the color to penetrate deeply into the fur.

The markers are fine for adding highlights and such but if I wanted to color an entire strip in a solid even color, I would look for alternative methods.

Kev

Dying as taught to me by Jack Mickievicz:

Rit dye in a pot with water and salt. Heat until it almost boils. Add the feathers or fur. Let it sit until you reach the desired color (I inspect it periodically by lifting some out with a plastic fork). when the desired color is met, remove with a plastic fork and place on newspaper. Then rinse with cold water. If you don't rinse, you will end up with dye on your hands and fingers. Let it dry and/or blow dry with a hair drier. Also note that the more dye you add, the more intense the color. It doesn't require much dye in a cooking pot.

Don't use your wife's pot, buy a cheapie.

Back