dyed pheasant tail

mike_richardson

mike_richardson

Not sure if any of you purchase any dyed pheasant tail or not, but this weekend I did an experiment. Used yellow, and brown died pheasant tail beadhead nymphs on a tandem right. The yellow flat out preformed the brown. Not sure if it was because the brown was dropped a bit lower, or if the yellow matched more of what was in the stream.

I am a fan of having multilple colors of pheasant tail in my box.

Caught a lot of stockies on the yellow this past Sunday. Might have looked like the color of pellets ;) Here was a tubby Golden that fell for the yellow.

Attachments

• goldenr 2.jpg
    goldenr 2.jpg
    28.9 KB · Views: 8
  • goldenr.jpg
    goldenr.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 2
I think it's a great idea to try something like this and report the results - thanks

For what it's worth, inspection of the naturals has pushed me to try lightwer colors for small PT nymphs as well, with good, but not scientific, results.

I have every color of PT. Another great producer is bleached.

You guys may also want to try golden pheasant tail for your PT's.

That is natural colored tail feathers from a golden pheasant. The same bird that provides the orange and black feathers used on Royal Coachman tails.

The mottling on the tails creates a really nice two tone effect which mimics certain sulphur nymphs really well.

Kev

"In the Riffle" calls this a PMD Pheasant Tail (pic is from their video page):

pmd-pheasant-tail-nymph-pattern-300x150.png

I just got some yellow dyed pheasant tails from JStockard and it's a nice color but not as yellow as in the photo.

In the recipe they call the color ginger. Here's the video.

lots of colors !

Attachments

• Image00023.jpg
    Image00023.jpg
    199.6 KB · Views: 2
Pennkev beat me to it with the golden pheasant. I also use turkey tail. Come to think of it, hen pheasant tail may work for smaller sizes too.

Just tied these on my lunch break. Tough to tell the color in the pic, but these have been the ticket lately. Not sure if it is closer to a nymph that is in the stream or what, but it works. I have been liking the shorter shank hooks lately as well. I normally like a 1xl nymph hook but have been going with straight hooks now.

Not sure how others tie their BHPT but I keep mine fast.

put on the bead
tie in gold wire
clip off about 5-7 pheastant fibers.
tie in fibers over the rib
wrap fibers up and secure
rib the fly
tie in peacock
wrap peacock
pull fibers over the peacock
whip finish.

I only ever tie the fibers to the hook one time. Might not look as pretty but it works. I have been wanting to add legs to the fly, but it works well as it is, so I have just been tying the 2 minute BHPT. ;)

Attachments

• yellow bhpt.jpg
    yellow bhpt.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 3
  • yellow bhpt1.jpg
    yellow bhpt1.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 4
Back