dye feathers

sundrunk

sundrunk

I've got a couple odd colored capes I'm thinking about dying., badger and an off white cream...I want to dye the off-white a pale watery dun. Consider dying the badger blue, blue, dun...

I'm prepared for the mess, and only plan on dying the two capes..

Thoughts and considerations?

Most fly shops don't dye anymore becuase of the mess and hassle.

Good ventilation and time.

To dye them properly you may be into more $ than just buying new capes.

Good Luck and let us know how it turns out if you do it.

just do it, and remember they will dry lighter than what they look like. I dye alot here any more. have fun.

Sandyfly..

What dye's do you use? What do you like?

Sundrunk,

I've dyed hackles using Rit and Tintex fabric dye, and it worked fine. At a buck or 2 a box, pretty inexpensive to try IMO.
Just pour a little in a bowl - add hot water, and stir - then put the feathers in . Try giving them just a minute or 2 at first, then let dry to see how it comes out. You can always do them again if the color isn't dark enough for what you want.
I would do only a feather or 2 at first as a test run, before doing the whole neck.

I also dye turkey flats for wings

I have dyed lots of things so far no capes but everything else. I bought a k bests book for dying and it tells you everything you need to know. I have found that it is not that difficult to do. Perhaps your local library would have that book on their shelf. The main thing is you can only dye something darker than it is unless you bleach it first. all you need for dying is a disposable aluminum pan and some rit dye and vinegar thats it. I use a hot plate to keep the water warm and if you do that you will need to watch it a little closer so it doesnt get too hot it cannot go above 140 degrees. I really dont know if you have to keep it warm but thats the way I have done it and it works out fine. well hope this helps dont be afraid to try it maybe start with something less valuable say some light colored rabbit fur or something. Fred

Back