Dunbar Golds

S

sam

Fished the C&R section of Dunbar Creek yesterday evening and came across several golden trout holding in the water. This has to be an error made by the PFBC, right? Or would it be a private stocking? I guess it’s not a huge deal, but I found it pretty strange. Goldens in C&R water don’t make sense for several reasons.

Fished the C&R section of Dunbar Creek yesterday evening and came across several golden trout holding in the water. This has to be an error made by the PFBC, right? Or would it be a private stocking? I guess it’s not a huge deal, but I found it pretty strange. Goldens in C&R water don’t make sense for several reasons.
What's the thinking behind C&R on a stocked stream? That makes no sense to me at all.

PFBC stocked goldens in FFO/DHALO sections last year. I didn't see any this year, but I only fished one FFO stream one time in dirty water, so admittedly, that's not a strong data point for 2022. Could be a private stocking, could be PFBC, could be they swam out of other waters.

I'm not sure why stocking golden's in the DHALO streams would be unusual. Stocked trout are stocked trout.

Something else that doesn't make sense is stocking yellow trout in a Class A FFO C&R stream section, yet, they do it. No way to remove them if you wanted to, and unlike a "troutless" stream, I don't think the expectation is that stocked trout just die in a Class A stream. So really not sure what that's all about.

For Dunbar - I am frankly quite surprised they are still in there and haven't been poached out yet. If you can see them all the bait guys can see them, I know it's supposed to be FFO but folks kinda take that as more of a suggestion than law. Dunbar always got a lot of brook trout in the past so maybe this is to make up for no brookies anymore. Maybe it's to help guys that think there are no fish there actually see some. In the past local sportsman groups have stocked their own fish there too.
No way to remove them if you wanted to, and unlike a "troutless" stream, I don't think the expectation is that stocked trout just die in a Class A stream.
SF - don't worry - folks take fish out of there all year long. They'll get rid of them .

As someone who has fished there since the mid 70s I think the handling of that stream has really gone down hill in the past few years. It disappoints me to fish there anymore.

They also stocked golden's in the DHALO section of Buffalo creek

Back