Dunbar FFO construction

724flyfishing

724flyfishing

Dunbar dam removal

If anyone is planning on fishing Dunbar anytime soon, sounds like there's going to be some work going on there. Not sure how that would affect overall fishing, just spreading the good word!

If that's the dam remnant that I think it is - directly across from the rifle range - I think it might have a negative effect.
It created a very deep hole - with undercuts for cover - that always held lots of fish.
Yeah, it did cause the creek to bend around a little. But it didn't really pond any water - and sure didn't block fish movement
I caught many fish there over the years, and am gonna miss it.

Frankly, I hope they don't get the funding for removal of the other three

Dryflyguy- my one friend who sent me the link thinks it is the one across from the rifle range. I personally haven't fished there too much. We'd stop and hit the jack dam holes on our way to ohiopyle sometimes, but I've yet to really fish the creek hard. I was planning on it in the next few months if we had some decent weather though. I've heard it fishes pretty good in the winter but I'm thinking maybe I'll hold off until this all clears out.

dryflyguy wrote:

Frankly, I hope they don't get the funding for removal of the other three

I read on American Rivers on facebook, that is the plan.

I feel you, but their argument is I guess that reconnecting the stream produces cooler water downstream and better spawning habitat for more fish.

imho with these small dams they'd be better to v notch them.

The existing obstructions provide oxygenation, imo, but I haven't studied it, I trust those that did considered this.

I'm actually only familiar with 3 of the dams - not sure where the 4th is.
But those that I've seen, were breached long ago. And their foundations really - as I noted before - just make for good holding water.
The one I discussed with the OP - and is pictured - had just a very small section left.
Now, upstream of it - is another one that is pretty much intact. And the stream flows around the one end that was knocked down. I can see where it might hold back some water during a flood event. And possibly flood the road.
But other than that, I really don't see any benefit to the fish with their removal

Back