Dumbell eyes spinning on Clouser minnows

turkey

turkey

The Clouser deep minnow might be the greatest fly ever conceived. I tie and fish them frequently as I'm usually relegated to rough fish (walleye fight like a wet gym sock) and warm waters. I eventually will get hung up on some unseen subsurface structure and thanks to the brilliance of the inverted hook design I seldom lose a fly. However I almost always knock the dumbbell eyes loose and they begin to affect the action of the minnow. This is usually the beginning of the end for my Clousers. I tie my minnows per Mr. Clouser's instructions in his book, "Clouser's Flies". Do any of you tyers do anything special to secure the eyes?

I use dumbbell eyes a lot too. First, make sure before you tie them down, that you put a base of wrapped thread around the shank. It doesn't have to be a thick base, maybe two or three wraps back and forth - but you need this base. Then tie on the weight with several wraps of thread; check out the weight from different angles to make sure it is on the shank symmetrically. Then put a drop of Superglue on the wraps and let dry. Finally, you want to really cinch down a large number of turns - really build up that thread.

This should solve the problem (won't cure the problem completely, but will definitely get to good enough).

As a recovering striped bass fly tyer and fisherman... just dab some CA on the thread area in between and around them after securing them... (yes, a bed of thread helps too!) dab some CA, go do something else for 30 seconds, then continue... They'll stay together, I promise.
Mike B

In addition to all the good advice above, after figure-8ing or criss crossing the thread around the dumbells, make some wraps like a parachute style between the dumbells and the shank of the hook. This will tighten up the previous wraps.

Good to see it from the man himself.

Thanks for the great advice everyone. My technique seems to be on track with everyone's suggestions. I was thinking last night about all of the places I've fished deep minnows and it seems to me that I incur dumbbell damage the most frequently in the Allegheny near the city. I'm guessing that this has a lot to do with the amount of detritus in the river. A year or 2 back someone drove a car into the Mon off the 18th St boat launch in the South Side and the authorities decided to leave it there so you can imagine what else is in there. I'm going to try a drop of CA on my next batch of flies.

Thanks everyone!

I had this problem before, and it was because I wasn't tying the figure-8s and base wraps tight enough. For Clousers I learned to use a thick thread and wrap it tight like a bucktail.

I don't know why but thanks AFISH, that thing has been a pain in my but to tie over the years so I chose other things...I'll have to sit down and crank a few out.

I agree wrap some extra wraps under the eyes....I also go around the base and over the shank after the cross wraps are done. if you really feel its still not tight enough a shot of super glue as mentioned does the trick. I typically sit and wrap all my dumbles on before I actually tie the fly, which allows me to use a much stronger thread without worrying about getting a giant head at the end. Allows you to really crank down on things.

First, I use super glue to attach the eyes to the thread build-up on the hook. Then, I use a variety of wraps to hold the eyes. A really effective one is to wrap around the axis of the eyes 2X then wrap around the hook. Do that forward and backward on both sides. The thread isn't just pinching the eyes down, it is actually catching the eye in a wrap.

Syl

Anybody else rough up the hook under the thread wraps to increase grip? I also put some lacquer or such before starting the wraps to restore some rust protection.

I've never tried that Les. This gives me an idea though...

Back