Duck season open?

tabasco_joe

tabasco_joe

I decided to go up to Bethlehem and check out Monocacy Creek. I started out prospecting in the Illicks Mill area with an Elk Hair Caddis. Shortly a group showed up at the picnic pavilion and the kids went down tothe stream with some bread to feed the fish. Well that brought the ducks in and shure enough one of them thought the EHC was a breadcrumb. So the duck is thrashing around in the middle of the stream and I pulled a bit on the line. Sure enough I fell some weight. Now I'm trying to figure out how to reel in the duck to cut the leader and not attract attention from the hord of kids at the stream. (I have to admit I had a fleeting thought of a years supply of tying material.) This goes on for about 5 minutes. Fortunatley the duck got the line tangled around a rock and tore the tippet which was only 6x.

I then proceeded to check out the less frequented areas of the creek which is quite interesting for a city stream. Water temp was 58 and there were a fair number of trout. Unfortunately as I arrived there was a guy packing up with a bag of trout he caught. They ought to extend the special regulations all the way to the mouth.

Wabbit Season! I mean, point the tip directly at the duck and it should break pretty easily...if you use the flex of the rod it absorbs the tension. Pointing the tip at a limb, snag, rock (duck)...whatever you are caught on and don't want to be...it will break off easler

Back