Dubbing Wax

T

trouthunting

When I started tying last year there were no resources that mentioned whether or not to use dubbing wax, or the implications of using it. However, in searching for new patterns online I've found a lot of folks who prefer not to use dubbing wax.

What are your thoughts? Are there any implications to fishing success on flies you've tied with/without dubbing wax?

I tried a couple without wax a few nights ago and found it substantially more difficult to get the dubbing to stay on the thread...that might have something to do with the quality of materials; I'm not certain.

It's harder to dub without the wax. I don't use it anyway. A dubbing twister, and a little elbow grease gets the job done.

I bought some, but I don't use it much. Most of the patterns I use don't much call for dubbing loops, so the only time I'd have to use it is to help apply in regular use.

I find for that function, it lets me spin it too tightly and it seems to be almost counter productive.

I use it--just a bit to get the job done. It's like chapstick for me--I'm addicted.

If I'm tying a finely tapered body on a dry fly or working with smaller midges/nymphs that need to be proportioned and tapered, I will use a little wax. I also will wax dubbing loops only to help secure the dubbing in place. In all other instances I will not use wax.

i use a product that secretaries use in the office to help them flip through papers, its a wax and its tacky but not sticky and just enough to help put the dubbing on the thread

pre-waxed threads help.

I don't use it much anymore and my flies hold together well.

dry flies - no wax for me.

nymphs - "touch dubbing" is pretty tough to do without wax...

I use wax, but I learned a trick from Don Bastian, who is an incredible tier. He taught me to put the wax on my fingers. Before I dub I just put a touch of wax on my finger tips and dub away. Works great.

Like Heritage Ed i use very tacky dubbing wax for nymphs and pupa patterns. "Touch dubbing" allows you to apply natural dubbing with all the guard hairs sticking out perpendicular to the thread, without rolling the dubbing on the thread and ruining the effect. This method gives the fly a spiky appearance, and represents gills on a nymph. Touch dubbing is part of the "secret" of Lafountaine caddis pupa patterns. The antron fibers stick out from the body of the fly and create air bubbles.

Some dubbbing wax I've seen just seems to wet the thread and is of no use, IMO. I use Loon "Swax" which is very tacky. Glue sticks used to glue paper, that you buy in an office supply store is a good substitute for tacky dubbing wax.

For dry flies tied with long fibered synthetic dubbing, wax is not really necessary.

If I'm tying large flies (14 and up), I usually use wax. A tube of Overton's "Wonder Wax" bought in 1989 still resides on my tying desk. I think I had to push up more wax once since then ;-) For "touch dubbing", it's a necessity.

peace-tony c.

i primarily use wax when i meed my dubbing to be tight and not buggy ot im using unwaxed thread my take on it is its mainly for dry flies and helps their bouyancy

I usually don't use wax, either a little spit or the sweat from my hands does the trick

tocar wrote:
If I'm tying large flies (14 and up), I usually use wax. A tube of Overton's "Wonder Wax" bought in 1989 still resides on my tying desk. I think I had to push up more wax once since then ;-) For "touch dubbing", it's a necessity.

peace-tony c.

I also still use a tube of overton wonder wax that I bought when I took my tying class in 1985.
I've had to push mine up several times though, and it is almost exhausted.
With a product that lasts like that though, no wonder the company went out of business

Back