Dubbing Twister

J

jpb5002

I've been tying for a month or so and the dubbing twister is the only tool in my kit that I have no clue how to use. Is this tool helpful to use?

Also, I'm looking for a decent vise. I was looking at Regal vises, because I like how they self-adjust to the hook size. But, they cost a little to much for my budget. Any suggestions for a vise that would be around $100 or less. Thanks.

If you are looking to stay under $100, there are a few decent options, but until you are ready for a serious upgrade, I'd stay with the old standard AA or something like that. It's been good to me for about 4 years.

Here's a dubbing loop and twister tutorial.
http://www.flyanglersonline.com/flytying/tyingtips/part144.html

And another
http://globalflyfisher.com/tiebetter/dubbing/making_your_own.htm

And a whole list :-D
http://www.google.com/search?q=how+to+make+a+dubbing+loop

Thanks a lot those are pretty sweet links. I have a cheap AA right now and and I'm not a big fan of it. Would I notice a difference if I upgraded a little bit, or are they all pretty much the same?

I have an Apex Anvil vise I got for $100 that has served me well. It's solid, comes with stand and clamp, adjusts nicely, and is made in the US.

You would probably see a difference if you upgraded, but according to my calculations, my thinking is as follows:

Why spend $75 or $80 on a moderate upgrade, when, in all probability, you'll be looking to upgrade that to a few hundred dollar vise within a few years? I'm just waiting until I can afford to spend the $169 or whatever on a Renzetti, or perhaps a little more on something nicer than that. Until then, the AA will do the job. Granted, I am living in a tiny college student living situation, and don't have the space for a legit tying station. When I get that, I'll probably upgrade. So take my advice with a grain of salt.

I took the plunge and bought the Renzetti Traveler as my first vice. My one friend still thinks I'm crazy for spending more than $150 on a vice but I figure it will probably last me most of my life. The guy who sold it to me showed me his Renzetti that he has been tying on since the 70's. He tied commerically for years on the vice and if it can handle that, the several dozen a year I tie will be no problem.
I agree with Jay, you'll be upgrading on your upgrade soon enough so save yourself some money and buy the one you want now. Even if you have to save for a few more weeks.

http://www.flyfishohio.com/Vise%20Review%201/danica_danvise.htm

Add a 10 dollar base and yer good to go.

I really like this vice and for 80 bucks you can't beat it.

It is hard to go wrong with a Danvise. While I do not own one, I have spoken to many who do and they love it. Getting a good rotary vise for less than 100 bucks is a deal.

Thanks for all the ad-VISE, haha

jpb5002,

All good replies on the vise. I've used several AA's in the past and they perform just fine. Save your $$ and get what you want. Don't be afraid to try some of these vise that were mentioned out. I too like the Regal, but also have tied on a Dyna-King and a Danvise and a few others. Was actually saving up to get a Regal, when a Good Friend of mine gave me his Renzetti for my B-Day. I can't say that the upgrade in my vice improved my tying, but it did increase the enjoyment of tying and the rotary makes tying certain patterns a lot easier!

As for the dubbing tool, it's nice to know how to use it. I don't use it very often though, mainly just on my scuds and Walt's Worms. I found just teasing a dubbed body with a piece of velcro to be just as effective and easier.

JH

I've been tying for 40 years and do not own a dubbing twister.

At this point in the October of my tying career, I'm almost afraid to look into whether I'm actually missing anything by not having one...

When you consider vises in the general neighborhood of $100, take a look at what Griffin offers. The Griffin Spider is supposed to be a very nice vise, US made, etc. and it's like $80, I think. I have the Griffin Mongoose, but that's only because my wife bought it for me. I would have never bought it for myself. I'd probably have bought the Spider.

I don't think there's a thing you can't do with a good vise in the 80-100 buck class that you could do with a $650 Renzetti 4-speed, Talon grip, self-adjusting vise made from the shards of King Arthur's sword. Or whatever the top of the line vise is these days.

But what do I know? I don't own a dubbing twister...:)

Here's the Griffin url:

http://www.griffinenterprisesinc.com/vises.html

I avoided a dubbing twister for a long time, but I relented after seeing a guy at a show do it properly. It does make spiky dubbed bodies easier and more durable. Get the kind that forms a w on the end. It keeps the two sides of the dubbing loop open so that it is easier to fit the material in. I made my first one from a piece of wire and a wood handle and it works fine. A retired machinist in my TU chapter made me one with a heavy brass weight on a bearing that spins like a top and I value it mostly since it was a really nice gift from a friend. Not an essential tool, but makes a chenille type of dubbing much easier. Can place a feather, some herl, or any other fragile material in the dubbing loop to reinforce it with the thread. Also cool to make a fur hackle that really moves in current.

For tight dubbing fingers are much better.

I have the 80 dollar Griffin Spider and can't see the need to upgrade at this point. Not that I doubt the more expensive ones are better somehow, I just haven't found anything I can't do with the one I have now. I hope this helps.

Boyer

I just found this on Griffin's website and had to share.

"Patriot Cam Vise

Without a doubt, this is our finest vise."

since it's $175, I would feel silly buying their other vise that costs $199. :lol:

Boyer

Boyer,
The reason the Montana is $199 is because it comes with tons of extras.
That Patriot looks like a great vise.

Back