Dubbing question

B

burghwolfe

Is there a difference in dubbing that is used for tying nymphs vs dry flies? I would assume that the only difference would be in the dubbing's affinity for retaining water but maybe that isn't much of an issue if using a floatant of some kind. Just curious

Nymph dubbing is usually more coarse and "hairy". Dry fly dubbing is usually very wispy and very finally chopped.

Nymph dubbing is generally courser and made from materials that absorb water. (beaver, rabbit etc.)(yes beaver cause all the oils that made it waterproof are washed out) you can ty drys with this material but it will absorb water sooner or later. I like poly dub for drys because its finer and does not absorb water..adding a floatant is ok but watch how much. It adds weight to a fly if its a paste. A liquid that drys would be best..And those powered ones are a dessicant, wich is a water absorber not repeller. they work for a while but will soon wear off or collect water..

...also, dubbing that you use for nymphs often has guard hairs, or longer hairs mixed in. That ads more bugginess to the nymph as you pick some of those out. For drys you normally want a fine defined body shape, hence the fine dubbings.

Remember also, this stuff changes colors when wet! Keep that in mind when selecting colors.

There are dubbings made from metals that help them sink as well.

MKern wrote:
There are dubbings made from metals that help them sink as well.

I tried a box of that dubbing, and I wasn't terribly impressed. The dubbing spins up pretty tight, like a dry fly. And that's not really the look I am going for in a nymph. Also, it doesn't sink they fly all that well. You certainly still need to put a beadhead or some other sort of weight on the fly. So, you aren't getting all that much bang out of the dubbing.

It's a sort of metallic look. I think it's made from shredded aluminum foil. I thought it would look good and be a good substitute for materials like peacock herl. It's not though. It doesn't have the same sheen or the buggyness of that material.

Pad,
I've never used it, and now I know never to buy any - thanks!
You are right, I'm sure it doesn't look buggy.

I use the copper for some of my flies, I like it.

Just thought I'd mention that the latest batch of Jack's Hare's Ear Dubbing I bought is the best hare's ear dubbing I've ever seen. It's making some great nymph ties for me.

Good ol' Jack. Most of his materials are pretty good from what I've found and reasonably priced.

Back