dub it

mutzinbaugh

mutzinbaugh

i picked up a mink and a red fox this winter, skinned them and boraxed them, they are now dry and ready to go in the desk.

now to the question: do any of you guys use mink or fox fur in your ties? either dubbing or guard hair?

both critters look like they have a lot to offer but never used their fur before. any input appreciated.

I use Fox for alot of my Warm Water ties. Mink is a great dubbing for nymphs.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    81.3 KB · Views: 2
Here are some nymphs I make with mink. I realize they look a mess but man do they work, all year.
flyswappic-1.jpg

This is an old pic tried to resize no luck

I put some fox fur in a coffee grinder. great spikey dubbing.

That's a lifetime supply, fox tail is good for streamers, body is good for dubbing, mink is great for dark nymphs.

L2N I like your ugly nymphs, well besides the bead, that is. I can't bring myself to use a bead on anything but the smallest (20) sizes, and that's just because the body can't take the extra bulk of lead.

Thanks Bh, it's funny you say that about the beads. I gave some, and some mink to try to a friend of mine in Delaware and he tied them without the bead. Reported good results. I tie them on a #14 hook.I'm liking that fly dog.

i tried the mink tonight, just trimming some off the skin and spinning on the thread gives the body a creamy body with dark brown guard hair.

also, trimmed the fox around the back legs and around the shoulder... very nice creamy pinkish color for sulphur emergers!

very nice add to the dubbing selection.

Back