Dual kayak Roof Racks

R

riverwhy

Anyone have any suggestions on this? I got an Emotion Stealth 11 footer for my 50th birthday last November. I have only taken it on short trips from Hershey to the Swattie but need something more stable as I want to take it to the shore for ocean and bay fishing. I also want to be able to transport 2 kayaks so my buddy (just got a kayak also) and I can do longer floats with different put-in and take-out points. I also may consider buying a second kayak if my wife and daughters like it.
I drive a 2017 Subaru Outback.
Jay P

What type of rack system are you using now ? You could go with the J style racks or you may be able to stack them on top of each other on the roof . Or get a small trailer which would be the easiest but more expensive option .
23227d1333491884-kayak-bow-strap-loaded-5-.jpg

Kayak on top of roof rack. Then Just ratchet straps through the doors and around top of kayak. My Subaru does not have good places to attach stabilizing ropes either front or back.

Two of these should work every pic of a Outback I see has strap areas in use front and back
https://www.rackwarehouse.com/malone-mpg106md-autoloader-xv-kayak-j-cradles.html?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIwPagiNbR1AIVFEsNCh0Q3ghSEAQYByABEgIR5_D_BwE

Thanks! Those look great! I found some accessories called quick loops and hood loops that look like a great solution for me. They fit under the hatchback and hood respectively.
Jay P

I haul a lot of kayaks and if you strap them down properly and tie them off right you don't need bow or stern lines while hauling. (Unless you don't have a roof rack and are just using pads on your roof)

on my personal vehicle I double stack kayaks on top of my roof rack and drive hours with no problems and that was with me going 80 on interstate 80 for most of it with no bow/stern lines.

Also, you should get NRS straps and avoid ratchet straps. Ratchet straps can be very easy to over tighten and a lot of people crack or permanently bend their kayaks with them.

Allan,
When you say roof rack I am assuming you just mean a standard car roof rack not one made specifically for kayaks? The straps you mention look great. Do you have a picture of how you tie them to your roof rack? Also, do you stack the kayaks on top of each other or side by side?
Thanks,
Jay P

I bought the Malone kit, with crossbars and twin J racks. I haul my Wilderness Ride 115 and the wife's Ascend D10T with no problem. I tie the bow and stern anyway, although probably not necessary.

Malone J-Pro 2

If your vehicle does not have a rack with cross bars, you will need those too.Malone Universal Cross Bars

Thanks Steve and everyone for your input. I think that was the one they were sold out of. I got two of the Thule for $99 each. Installed one and am taking it Poe Paddy State Park to get my Stealth out on the lake.

Now I need a second Kayak to pair with my Emotion Stealth. Any recommendations on a cheap but serviceable fishing Kayak? I want to get one that serves as a second lake or river kayak but that can also be used in the bay/ocean.

I have an ocean trident 13 that i don't think you could lift into a standard roof top kayak rack just because of the weight 80lds empty it's just to hard to get it up on top of a car with smashing a window.i made a hitch extension for my 6ft truck box.

Back