Dry Fly

Bruno

Bruno

Last nights best dry fly:

http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg313/mattyb15601/DryFly1.jpg

I got the shack nasties real bad. The boss man paged all of us this morning and told us to work from home. The dining room is nice but talking to the Dogs all day gets old fast.

Please give you opinion on the fly. I am trying to improve on my dry fly skills.

Looks like one you could buy in a fly shop.

Bruno,
The fly looks great. However, I'll need a few actual samples to give a true opinion.

Not sure what you could possibly improve on...March brown?

Better than I can do. Looks good.

I have a question. Are you supposed to be able to throw your fly down and not have any of your hook touch the surface? Meaning long enough tail and hackle or thorax?

Never put any thought into that until recently. Thanks Paul

acristickid,

I think it is preference whether the hook touches or not. Some resourses say that the hook shout barely touch, others say it shouldn't and be suspended above the table.

IMO, as long as it is close to either, than it is tied okay. Besides after it gets wet, who knoes if the hook wouldn't touch teh water anyway.

Thanks for the input. I got some flies from DRYFLYGUY and was really impressed. He gave me a couple of tips and I have been trying to get my flies to kinda look like the ones he gave me.

I keep the bend of the hook, the tip of the tails, and the hackle tips all on the same plane. At least I try to.

Then again, I don't tie catskill dries often. I tie parachutes and cdc comapaduns, so my input might not be the most useful.

Bruno,

Very nice! I try to tye with just a little less hackle, but yours would stand up to fast water a little better. So I guess it's a preference thing. Yours looks much, much neater and better proportioned than anything I would do!

As for the touch or no touch conodruum. I believe that if the hook does not touch the surface it would be called a "variant". The idea being the tails and hackle are slightly oversized. It's good for larger bugs, but generally you want to stick with the typical proportions.

Bruno,

looks like a great March Brown. I bet I would catch many in central PA using that!

Bruno:

Pretty nice fly - looks like an Adams to me.
One recommendation - your hackle looks a little spread out - I try to keep it tighter - just personal preference though. I usually take 1 or 2 turns of hackle at most behind the wing, then 2-3 turns in front, depending on hook size. I also put a little more dubbing around the thorax area after tying in the hackle, and before winding it - just gives the fly a little nicer appearance IMO.
And as you know, I usually use divided tails.

Acristic:

I don't think it matters one bit if the fly stands up on the tying table or not, - what matters is how it sits on the water.
I like to use smaller hackles - no more than the hook gap in length- so most of my flies probably wouldn't stand up on the table

I've never tied a march brown with grizzly hackle tip wings, but have seen lots of adams with them

Dude it could be...It would have been just as easy for me to color correct the pic rather than desaturate the color...I was just funnin' ya...

Back