dry fly storage

F

flynoob

Whats the best box for dry flies? Is it preferred to us a compartment style box?

Noob,

A lot of guys like using compartment type boxes for dries. I like the C&F type boxes (the ones with the slots) best for all flies including dries.

I think it's a preference thing, so long as you don't bend the hackles. The best way to avoid that is to be sure your fly is dry before you put it away.

My preference for conventional, hackled dry flies is a compartment box. For terrestrials (I usually don't use hackle on my terrestrials) and some specialty dies like midges I prefer the foam type boxes in which you stick the hook into the foam. Like Pad said, it's mostly a matter of preferance.

Cleaned out smokeless tobacco containers make great dry fly boxes , they don't crush hackles and they float too!!!!!

The most important part of the dry fly box is that it doesn't crush the hackle. I have a C&F style slotted box for my Caddies box. I use a Wheatley box - one side slot, one side flat for my mayflies and my larger flies, respectively.

I had been using a slotted C&F box - smaller - for some dries and it was too small and crushed some of the flies - so no matter the "quality" of the box, if there's not enough room for the fly - it will not matter.

I don't like compartmental boxes as a personal preference, because I'm not coordinated enough when I'm standing in the river to pull out a bunch of flies that get intertwined in a compartment and pick out one to tie on - invariably, I drop a couple.

Cheers,
Mike.

Why spend money on something that can be had for nothing? Use a snuff can with some foam glued in the bottom and voila , crushless dry fly box that unlike the $100.oo job will float , buy a new rod or line or sumpin' wit dat money jeeeeeez!

ConMan wrote:
The most important part of the dry fly box is that it doesn't crush the hackle. I have a C&F style slotted box for my Caddies box. I use a Wheatley box - one side slot, one side flat for my mayflies and my larger flies, respectively.

I had been using a slotted C&F box - smaller - for some dries and it was too small and crushed some of the flies - so no matter the "quality" of the box, if there's not enough room for the fly - it will not matter.

I don't like compartmental boxes as a personal preference, because I'm not coordinated enough when I'm standing in the river to pull out a bunch of flies that get intertwined in a compartment and pick out one to tie on - invariably, I drop a couple.

Cheers,
Mike.

If you like the C&F and Wheatley boxes.....I have some land I'd like to sell you.

Alpabuck wrote:
ConMan wrote:

Cheers,
Mike.

If you like the C&F and Wheatley boxes.....I have some land I'd like to sell you.

I love my C&F boxes. The Wheatley box is ok. Wouldn't buy another. I've used lots of boxes and the C&F boxes are hands down the best fly boxes I've ever used.

Gander Mtn or Cabelas clear compartment boxes. $3.99-7.99

Put that in your Wheatley pipe and smoke it. :) I've never understood spending big money on boxes. I've got a bunch of boxes from Harbor Freight Tools that I use in my pontoon tackle bags. They hold the flies and that's all I need. In all honesty, if I've seen someone pull out a 50 compartment box with lids on each, my first thoughts are "tool" and/or the guy in the fly shop saw you coming a mile away. I don't need a fly box to impress, my wind knots do the talking for me. Fight the good fight.

Gander Mt. sells the cloudy plastic dry boxes for a buck. The clear ones are over $4. However, the $1 go quick.

Stop at a fly shop and maybe they'll order you some cheap ones on their next order. When I worked at Hille's I got some chincy 4 or 6 compartment boxes for like $.85. they just tacked it onto their hook order.

sight_nymph_17109 wrote:
Gander Mtn or Cabelas clear compartment boxes. $3.99-7.99

Put that in your Wheatley pipe and smoke it. :) I've never understood spending big money on boxes. I've got a bunch of boxes from Harbor Freight Tools that I use in my pontoon tackle bags. They hold the flies and that's all I need. In all honesty, if I've seen someone pull out a 50 compartment box with lids on each, my first thoughts are "tool" and/or the guy in the fly shop saw you coming a mile away. I don't need a fly box to impress, my wind knots do the talking for me. Fight the good fight.

So because I have a C&F fly box that makes me a tool? Ok. To each his own... It's surely not to impress. Where I fish, I rarely if ever see another angler... and most of the time I fish alone. I guess I just impress myself some how?

Easy ConMan. It's my opinion, nothing more. I'll guess that I'm not the only guy on here that feels that way or uses $5 fly boxes. I can't justify spending big money on a box to hold flies. Spend money for a good line or reel? Sure. If it makes sense to you, have at it. If a $5 box does the same exact thing as a $150 box, why would I ever buy the more expensive one? I guess it's kind of like bamboo and I just don't get it.

May your backcast be short and your forward cast be long.

I'm good like that. Since you're jumping in, $5 fly box or a $150 fly box? Careful how you answer or I'll call you a tool. :)

Here's the thing. C&F lost their patent. C&F equivalent boxes now are $10 all day long. My boxes are $10.

Add me to the list of resident PAFF tools, I'm a C&F box fan. Apparently there are a few of us. I've been through almost every type of fly box and keep going back to C&F. Why? They've lasted longer than the others and kept my flies in better shape--not to mention I don't lose them. YMMV.

Yes, it's true they have lost their pattent, but only as recent as sometime this year I believe. Hence why there's an influx of similar style boxes this year. Perhaps in the future I'd look for a C&F alternative, but I'm of the school of "don't fix what ain't broke". To each their own.

I almost lost my mind when I dropped $25 on a SA nymph box last week. $750 rod, $300 reel, $100 line w/ a $5 fly box. :)

I think spending the money for expensive fly boxes is ridiculous.

I'm in the

I like the cheap Basspro foam boxes. What I would pay good money for, however, is some tool to come organize them for me. :p

Boyer

Back