dry fly rod

ryguyfi

ryguyfi

Just out of curiosity... If you're getting a specific dry fly rod lets say a 4wt with a slow action, do you prefer it to be long or short? Something to fish most PA hatches in medium to large streams.

ryguyfi wrote:
Just out of curiosity... If you're getting a specific dry fly rod lets say a 4wt with a slow action, do you prefer it to be long or short? Something to fish most PA hatches in medium to large streams.

IMO, given today's lightweight rods, a short rod has no advantage what-so-ever in larger waters, while a longer rod is much better for line control on the water (mending). I would recommend a 9' 4wt.

That's what I figured. I just bought a St Croix 9' 5wt and it is fast action and a great all around rod. I plan on using it as my main rod, especially because I mainly nymph and toss streamers. But eventually I'd like to get a specialty rod for hitting hatches. I figured a nice slow action 4wt would be nice, but just dreaming right now.

i might not get a lot of agreement here, but I fish my dries best with a custom 6 wt. Rx8 blank by rainshadow.. 9 ft. I can easily throw 60 feet of line, control it, and punch through wind easier. I feel you also learn how to be more gentle and fluent with your style, rather than overbearing and forceful.

My second-to-last purchase was a 10' rod. Last night I bought a 6'6" rod.

I can throw distance just fine with the short rod, certainly farther than I would ever actually need to do, but that's not where the long rod shines.

Keeping all the line off the water is drastically harder with 30% less rod-in-hand.

Long.

I like at least an 8' for all but the smallest streams. I use a 9' for most fishing as at some point I will likely fish nymphs and the longer rod will come in handy then. Also, I stick to moderate to fast action rods, the slower rods come into their own on the small streams, but I like the ease in which high line speed can be attained when using a faster rod. I don't even mind rod that is a little to stiff for its designated line weight.

A short rod is almost useless on some streams. Like the Little J or Penns. You wade in up to your stomach and the fish are rising against the far bank a good 30' away. Anything under 8' is just going to make it harder than it needs to be.

On the other hand, rods in the 7' 6" to 8' range are a lot of fun on a stream like Spring Creek since it is smaller, but not tiny, water.

Kev

I've did some research on some dry fly rods yesterday, and couldn't for the life of me find a true slow action rod. Of course boo would be the best option, just not even close to my price range ever in the near future.

What's your price range?

For cane, there's used (good luck) or Zhus if you don't worry about snob appeal.

There's also plenty of graphite, too. I've recently refamilarized myself with how nice I think some of the LL Bean Double L rods are, which are definatly on the slower side of medium.

I've did some research on some dry fly rods yesterday, and couldn't for the life of me find a true slow action rod. Of course boo would be the best option, just not even close to my price range ever in the near future.

Have you looked into fiberglass? The only trouble there would be finding a rod in the model AND price range you want.

One company that pops out to me is Steffen Bros. They currently have a good selection of models at a reasonable price. Blanks are in the $135 - 200 range, finished rods $300 - 450ish range

Lamiglas used to have a pretty good range of glass but have recently reduced their selection down to a handful of models . They have a 7' 6" 4wt and am 8' 5wt. No 8' 4wt. These blanks were all are just under $100. Figure in another $50- $80 for components to build them up. Then who knows how much labor costs depending on who you get to build the thing.

There I also Mcfarland and a couple other big name comapnies like Thomas and Thomas that make glass but their finished rods are high end / high price.

Phil B. at Kettle Creek Outfitters also has his own house brand of fly rod blanks which includes a pretty good range of fiberlgass models. You'll either have to cobble together the resultsof internet searches or just call him directly to get any specifics. He has no website or online ordering. If I recall, the blanks are under all $100. Same situation as the Lamiglass and Steffen's once you get the blank.

You can also try your luck at ebay. Lots of glass rods go through there, but I would imagine an 8' 4wt would be in high demand. There are also some nice glass rods made in and/or made for the Japanese market that are not easily available in the US. They come up on ebay from time to time.

Kev

ryan, you can try my mcfarland at the jam (or the next time i see you on the neshannock!) and see if glass is up your alley. also some older graphite has a slower action than most new rods. I have built some im6 rods that cast wonderfully. you can find good deals on these blanks, they are no longer the "cool new thing"
boo can be an aquired taste. lots of folks raised on graphite find them heavy, although with the proper reel balancing it, they are nice to cast.

Kev, check out kubota rods out of japan, he posts on the fiberglass forum, good guy, I like his bamboo reel seat spacer! his rods are simply awesome.
I'd like to own a norie amberstar at some point in my life also!

You don’t need a slow action rod for dry fly fishing. A medium or medium-fast action rod no shorter than 8 feet will do fine. And remember, there is no universal standard for what defines a “medium” or “fast” action rod, as every rod maker’s definition is different.

Traditionally a slow action rod was used for wet and streamer fishing down and across and a fast action rod was used for dry fly fishing casting off the tip for up close fishing. But traditional fast action rods had a soft tip that got progressively stiffer through the mid and butt sections while slow action rods have a slightly stiffer tip section, a more flexible mid section and then a stiffer butt section. In boo terms “dry fly action” means a fast action rod or a progressive action rod and “wet fly action” means a slow action rod or parabolic action rod. Today, however, fast action means a stiff tip that gets insanely stiffer and there’s no way you can effectively tip cast unless you over line by 2 line weights and medium action means a somewhat less stiff tip that gets stiffer.

If you are looking for an excellent medium-fast action rod that’s perfect for dry fly fishing that won’t break the bank, seriously consider the TFO Finesse Series 8’-9” #4 weight rod ($180 but no case). Also, check out www.codella.com for some used deals – both glass, graphite and boo. There are always some good old glass rods that become available and generally most of them sell for under $100. If you want the ultimate dry fly rod get the Winston Tom Morgan Favorite (4 weight 8 foot) but expect to drop $650 – but it is the ultimate dry fly rod.

One of my favorite dry fly rods is a Cortland GRF1000. They do not make them anymore but when they did they sold for $80-100. I got one off Ebay for about $40 last year. For larger water, it may not be the right rod. I think that they have an 8' 5/6wt and then the 8.5' is a 6/7. The rods are made of slightly older graphite and if you can find one for cheap, you will be impressed with its dry fly fishing capabilities. The Sage Launch is also a decent dry fly rod for larger water. The action is rated as medium-fast. These have been discontinued, and I see them sell for about $125 from time to time. If you have $300 to spend and want a fast action, I would recommend the Redington CPX (or a used CPS). I have cast both the CPX and older CPS and I like them for longer casts.

I've never cast one, but have heard from some pretty reliable sources that Winston fly rods have a very unique action that is especially well suited to dry fly fishing.

Most of my fishing is done with an 8'6" 4 weight - Orvis HLS.
It just really feels right for my style of fishing, and I use it on just about all larger streams that I fish. Have even been using it on the main stem of the Delaware river with no problems. Although on very windy days, I'll grudgingly break out an Orvis 9' 5 weight.

For smaller streams, I use a 7'9" 2 weight - Loomis IMX.
It's my baby, and gets used on Spring and Fishing creeks - and other simlar sized waterways

ry,

this is exactly what I was thinking of when I started my thread about the Redington (you posted in that thread I believe),

I was basically looking for the same thing, a larger water dry fly rod, I like my dry fly rods a little noodlier hence why I latched on to the redington because of the description of the action, seems like what you may be looking for also

I think I'm going to get the Redington CT in a 7'6" 3wt. If I like it I may get a longer 4 wt for my dry fly rod down the road.

I think I am going to get the 9ft 4 CT, if I do we can meetup and you can cast it if you want

When you are looking at the rod. Try overlining it by one line weight. It should slow down the action a bit and it might make the rod feel a little better to you. I overline most of my rods and find it helps me feel the rod load a little better.

Also why buy new. There are tons of great rods out on ebay. I personally like the St Croix Legend Ultra

http://cgi.ebay.com/St-Croix-Legend-Ultra-9-Ft-Fly-Fishing-Rod-UF904-4WT-/220601368074?cmd=ViewItem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item335cddbe0a#ht_527wt_704

Back