Dry fly leaders

afishinado

afishinado

Staff member
Here is an excellent article with very valuable info about dry fly leaders written by Dave Rothrock aka "Old Lefty" on here >

https://www.therantingangler.com/2021/07/dry-fly-leaders-for-trout-long-and.html

Dave, i know ya. You know me too! Triangle Cafe, 1996, board meeting, I walked out and quit. Woolrich deal---How did that work out!
Kickoff, about the same!

Leaders----If i wanted to know how to cast or tie nymphs, i see you!

If you want to know leaders, you see me!

Right on leaders, you are, getting right, well, a couple more years.

I look for response! Maxima12

Getting right on leaders, Who want's to know. From the best!

Yes, i consider me in the top 10, in the World, with a rank above 5.

I have touched every line, my fingers are the micrometer. Knots, what works, what fails a little, what is wrong.

Line also, what works, what stretches, what knots well, what is weak, what is different, what will last, what will make you sorry!

Finest available anywhere! Some have stated! Thank you!

Leaders, Leaders, everywhere
How could i ever compare
Lost a fish in deep despair
Maxima leaders are my fare.

Fave, with a last name like that, they gotta be good!

Take me to your leader.

Thanks for the post and helpful information. I know that I post a lot about my western Pocono R&G club, which I think is primarily a sub-surface fishery.

I did recently purchase two leaders for dry fly fishing from www.troutbitten.com about dry fly leaders but haven't used them as of yet.

Canoe boy, Good luck. I am sure they will delight you! The leaders. You a Pocono boy, hear this, A A Outfitters. Your camp needs a trip, a meal, a laugh, a venture, and a reminder why you live to fish.

AA give you a rash, you live with forever. You know it. Rash, you fish often, just to soften that itch!

How about that big boat tripper!

yours in mind!

I like a leader with a stiff butt. I bought some so called dry fly leaders from kettle creek fly shop....their brand....they were very flexible from butt to tip. Absolutely worthless. I buy some Fave leaders and they are very good. I use their 12 ft 4 x and build it from there. I like the Fave ones and pretty much use their hand tied leaders or my brothers hand tied exclusively unless fishing water that has a lot of algae or weeds. Then I switch to knotless. Usually Orvis. When I see people struggling to cast I often see the leader collapsing in a pile and it might not be their casting which is bad as much as a crappy leader.

Kettle Creek brand leaders, not familiar with. I do not use them. However, Kettle Creek has and will have a new brand. Easy to spot! Just look for the red twist ties.

They are Fave leaders. so far, wets, Czech and Fluoro. I would think, over time as the imported leaders shrink, a wall of Fave leaders will appear.

Leaders are very important and make a big difference. Fave leaders make that difference, finest available anywhere.

With that, thank you to all that use them, good luck in 2021, best wishes and look forward to 2022.

I love fishing and i sure do love fishing in Pa. Thank you Pa. Here is a little secret! Conserve water! Do not waste a drop of this Gold!

Put a jug in the fridge and remember Maxima12, said to!

Cold clean water will be a bigger battle than oil, copper, gold and silver. you heard it here in 2021! Wise man says--Bad Water, Bad Fishing!

Maxima12

I'm not really a leader guy. I buy the the knotless rio or orvis one and add on tippet to it as needed.. The leader normally lasts a year or so but eventually gets kinked up at some point. I don't have issues turning over dry flies and feel like I can put the fly where I want it. What am I missing by not using these hand tied leaders? Is it worth investigating, what will it improve?

are these yours Maxi?

Attachments

• LEADERS.jpg
    LEADERS.jpg
    149.4 KB · Views: 4
Tom----yes! Good leaders! Thanks Tom. Nice picture! I wish, i could do that posting like you guys. Spend too much time tying leaders.

Always outside at my table tying leaders or flies----everyday. Muncy community see's it, stops by for a chat or a drive by, beep and wave.????

Holy mackerel, i was clicking and a face showed up. Could not do that again! Guess it is in the clicks!

Blind squirrel finds a nut! Tom, hope you tried them. Might have been packed in a fly shop card. Red twist is the key!

Never ads, never reps, only a select few. beat the odds. Still doing it 35 years. The friends, the connections, the encounters, the fish pictures, the burgers and beer! What a life! I love fishing and fit in at the right time. Lucky! Real lucky!

I hope i made a small difference. I hope i helped some and i hope i can keep doing it! It has been fun! I love it! Some wanted to go, with the idea of everywhere. Benefits, profits, and goals. I think not.

I have been supplying leaders to shops for 35 years and never met the owner or set foot inside.

Brings a tear to my eye. Thank you, thank you, thank you!

My son has all accounts now but i pick up some too!

Way i was brought up, if your having trouble, i will give you some! Oh, i give out, close to a 1000 a year. I just tell them, tell your friends. I sure do have a following, round the world!

Lucky--even reached the Pope of Rome. The stories, the friends.

Fred Reese and Phil Baldacchino started this back in 1987. Along came a crew of many, getting in! Uncle Joe's woodshed and Pa. outdoor warehouse too. Woody at Indiana Angler, Troutfitter in Syracuse N.Y. Fran Betters, Wilimgton, Pa. T. U., Harry Murray, Edinburg, A A pro, Outfitters, Bob and Gene. Allen Bright, Spruce Creek, Jimmy Carter, Don Daughenbaugh, Dick Cheeny, Hille's, Bill O'Connor, Norm Shires, Ed Shenk, Humphrey's, Mc Collough, Barr, Harvey, Koch, Cumberland T. U. , Inky Moore, Dr. Jack Beck, Ed Koch! Leon Chandler! Fred Arbona, Dennis Black, John Bailey, and a 100 others,

I was lucky they liked me! Don't forget the Powells= Mason Line Co and Harold Hagen, Hagenfish! Young and hard, i was. 35 years later a little softer with reserve but always ready for the fight! Even if i loose!

With all the bad times i have had, who cares! The good times washed away the stone. I am gonna live on and respect all those before me!

I sooner or later will touch you with a good word from my friends. here and gone! The word we all laughed, joked, tales, lied, spent time at was:

FLY FISHING, FISHING, GET IT ON!

MAXIMA12

ROLL AWAY THE STONE-----MOTT THE HOOPLE!

i HAVE BEEN ROLLING AS LONG AS I REMEMBER!

MAXIMA 12

I have bought and used these. I liked them. Stiff, but that's not a bad thing. No wind knots. Great for buggers or dries.

Famous in New Zealand, Georgia, and all spots in between. GG

Thanks fellows. It means a lot. I have tried, tried and tied again and again! I like it.

Any questions on leaders, formulas, line, knots, let me know.

I will gladly help, best i can.

Maxima12

Back