Dry Fly Hooks

S

steve98

Hello All,

Looking to tie some dry flies.
Specifically Green Drake and March Brown.
I want to tie these on a dry fly hook with a little longer shank,as these flys , especially the Drake can tend to be longer on the body for a standard dry fly hook.
If anyone can recommend a hook for this purpose would be great.

TY
Steve 98

I suppose this is probably going to sound both blasphemous and scandalous because it is such a pedestrian brand, but..

I've tied hundreds of dry flies on the Eagle Claw L059 dry fly hook and have yet to have one fail due to poor temper or general quality. I don't know if they are the sharpest hook around straight out of the box, but that doesn't matter to me as I take a hone to every hook I use anyway. They are a solid 1XL in the shank. And they are like 12 bucks/100 from Bass Pro.

FWIW..

tie an extended body

from the internet

11T5L2W.jpg

steve98 wrote:
Hello All,

Looking to tie some dry flies.
Specifically Green Drake and March Brown.
I want to tie these on a dry fly hook with a little longer shank,as these flys , especially the Drake can tend to be longer on the body for a standard dry fly hook.
If anyone can recommend a hook for this purpose would be great.

TY
Steve 98

Any 2XL (shank length) Dry fly hook will work. Pick your favoriete brand (see chart below). For Green Drakes you can try a size 10 2XL or 8 2XL hook which would be the equivalent to the shank length of a standard size 8 or 6 dry fly hook.

nfrechet's suggestion of tying an extended body fly would also work very well, even better than a long shank hook. It's not really that difficult. Give it a try > (video below).

Good luck at Penns!

Attachments

• Hook Equiv. Chart.jpg
    Hook Equiv. Chart.jpg
    158.2 KB · Views: 3
RLeep2 wrote:
I suppose this is probably going to sound both blasphemous and scandalous because it is such a pedestrian brand, but..

I've tied hundreds of dry flies on the Eagle Claw L059 dry fly hook and have yet to have one fail due to poor temper or general quality. I don't know if they are the sharpest hook around straight out of the box, but that doesn't matter to me as I take a hone to every hook I use anyway. They are a solid 1XL in the shank. And they are like 12 bucks/100 from Bass Pro.

FWIW..

they are great hooks.
i like american made products.

Ref: Afish's video.

That should be an easy tie and quite buoyant. However, the colors seems to match a western green drake. Eastern green drakes have cream ventral sides (dark dorsal sides) and yellowish/olive wings with dark markings.

We are fly fishers so we tend to obsess about such details. ;)

Back