Dry Fly Help Please

jifigz

jifigz

In my very short time of tying with the limited materials I have I have created all subsurface flies. I've tied different streamers and made up some things and tied some zebra midges and that is about it. I would like to start tying some dry flies. I will probably only buy materials for one pattern, say an Adams, and tie it in a few different sizes for a while given how expensive materials can be. The part I am a little confused on is hackle. What should I buy exactly? A hackle cape in grizzly? It seems a little daunting to decipher certain materials used in tying. If someone could please give me a list of materials needed to tie an Adams (parachute, catskill, or whatever style of Adams would have the most applications) and preferred locations to buy these materials I would be very appreciative. Tying so far a has been great and I thoroughly enjoy it.

As far as the adams. The pattern calls for grizzly and brown. Some companies offer a 1/2 cape of each color. 2- for the price of one so to speak. Toughest part for a new tyer will be the wings. Original pattern called for grizzly hackle tips with rounded tops. Not easy to find. Unless you buy a hen grizzly neck. Which can be used for many other patterns as well. The body is grey dubbing. Muskrat was the oridinal. I prefer to use a fine poly dubbing. Floats well. Parachutes would be a good choice as well. You wont need the grizzly hackle points for a parachute. I use calf body hair in white. But you will still need the hackle. Paracutes are not the easiest to tie. All that being said the most affordable dry flys would be comparaduns. Which have a deer hair wing. You can buy a couple of pacs of fine deer hair in a couple different colors. Light to dark. That with a few colors of dubbing you can tie a whole host of dry flys. Without alot of expense.
They are a very durable fly which floats well and are fairly simple to tie. Maybe a good starting point. Watch a couple of utube vids.
I am sure others will have some different pointers to offer.

GenCon

Thanks GenCon....Could someone please break down the differences between different styles of dry flies? I know what a Catskill style dry is but what are the differences between a comparadun and a parachute?

I did some digging and fully understand what a comparadun is now and I think that, given my limited finances, that is where I will delve into the world of tying dries. Thank you

jifigz wrote:
I did some digging and fully understand what a comparadun is now and I think that, given my limited finances, that is where I will delve into the world of tying dries. Thank you

I tie lots of comparaduns. If you need any help just give a shout.

GenCon

jifigz wrote:
If someone could please give me a list of materials needed to tie an Adams (parachute, catskill, or whatever style of Adams would have the most applications)

just buy a grizzly neck and don't get hung up on that its not two feathers, brown and grizzly. you'll use grizzly for everything. it's universally lovable. you'll go further buying a great grizzly cape than five different ****** ones in "correct" colours.

catskills versions require little feather tips. the snots will tell you that you have to use hen hackle tip for this. don't bother. just skip the wings or tie a parachute. they're easier, and probably better. you use poly yarn for that.

also, don't bother with the spade hackle for tails. because its useless. buy some microfibbets or use some deer hair. you can be clever and just use a bit of antron and say its a trailing shuck. then you'll sound like a badass flyfisherman who uses fancy words.

finally, your body is made up from grey dubbing. you may as well buy the fancy dry fly stuff, like superfine.

finally, black thread sucks. tie it on brown. or tan. or beige. or taupe if you're an interior decorator.

where to buy it? your local store. or the internet. www dot fly tying things or something dot comnet.

As you move into the world of dry flys, try to avoid the temptation of getting hung up on the terminology. No one, myself included, uses it correctly and you can go mad trying to make sense of it all. For example, duns don't put their bodies in the surface film, so, do parachutes, no hackle flys, and compara"duns" mimick duns? Are they being taken as emergers or cripples? Should you care? They are all effective flys, so tie what you like and what works for you. But at the same time understand how the fly presents and behaves so you can choose appropriately. Just to further stir the pot, Catskill style flys are a style of dry flys, but most dry flys you see in bins are not Catskill style. The modern proportions are different, and only you can say which is better.
On hackle, if your funds are limited consider buying one quality cape to start. Brown, dun, and grizzly are probably all you need, and you can get a lot of flys from a dun cape mimicking most of the major hatches. I know folks will tell you that you need ginger in 3 shades and rusty barred dun etc, but honestly I don't think it makes much of a difference. Take a look at Charlie Collins webpage and if his capes are in your price range give him a call. He sells top quality hackle at a very reasonable price and he can be a helpful resource for a beginner. Tell him that you are just starting, what you want to tie, and see what he reccomends.
Personally, I can't reccomend the split necks or variety packs that Whiting sells. I've had a few and found them to have lower barb counts and thick twisted stems, exactly what you don't want as a beginner. I would also suggest staying away from 100 packs and saddles. They are nice if you plan to tie 100 #18s or whatever, but the limited range of sizes can be a problem.
Let us know how you progress, and don't be shy about posting pics and asking questions!
Mike.

Seeing questions like this makes me glad my Dad was/is a fly tyer and taught me to tie.

Jifigz, go to Flyfishers Paradise and talk to them. You need to get your hands on materials. They might even show you some tips on the vice.

Everyone here is so helpful. Love your sarcasm/wit gfen. I KNOW I CAN FIND THEM ON THE INTERNET OR LOCALLY, lol, an order was already placed and I'm excited to give it a try.

I would argue that parachutes, once learned, are far easier and dare I say more effective than traditional Catskills.

Seems like you already ordered but a half a grizzly cape, some mcflyon poly yarn, and a box of superfine should set you back 50 bucks or so. From that, with the requisite hooks, you could tie all sorts of variations.

Also, second the notion on comparaduns.

DO what BrookieC suggested make a visit to FlyFishermansParadise in state college. I picked up their comparaduns kit 10years ago materials, hooks and instructions for I think less than $30.

Adding to all of the great advice already given:

You don't necessarily have to tie an adams "by the book"
I tie an all gray mayfly pattern to match isonychia duns - but it also can be used as a great all around searching pattern, just like an adams. And it's quite simple to tie:

Gray turkey flat wings
dun hackle
muskrat fur body
dun tails

As for hackled flies - I still think that they have their place in fly fishing, and wouldn't be without them.
And hackle doesn't have to be expensive. I use #3 grade necks with no problems. And you can get them from collins for $30.
I would recommend starting off with two shades - dun and ginger. That will cover most of your lighter and darker colored flies.
I probably tie about 90% of my patterns with those two colors

I actually ordered some stuff for comparaduns. No hackle ordered. I just picked up some appropriately colored threads and deer hair....and dry fly hooks obviously. I Hope that the opossum dubbing I have will work for the dubbing

And transportation is a bit rough for me at the moment due to some poor decisions so ordering is a lot easier for me at the moment as opposed to popping into a shop in State College.

Don't hesitate to pick up and use markers both before and after finished. Pantone or any other permanent waterproof marker will do. You can buy grizzly/white hackle and make it whatever you need.

I haven't had issues with whitings twisting. The size issue is something you need to consider. But on a side note, some dries us smaller or larger flies than what would be considered standard. take an Troth style caddis. You can either use a full hackle for the size hook and trim the bottom, or use a smaller hackle and achieve the same thing. Henryville special caddis would be along the same lines. Al's Trico you can trim the bottom to sit flush. A simple spent caddis uses dubbing for a body, a mottled feather (patridge/grouse) for a over wing, and a hackle over peacock head. trim top and bottom for a spent fly.

Another fun part with hackle is you can trim them flush. turn a full dry into a sort of emerger that lays in the film like the spent caddis pattern I just referenced. Or the bottom on the Al's Trico. You can do this with any pattern and may find they work better than full on adult.

Do you tie emergers? they're much more productive! They're easier to tie general, and use many of the materials it sounds like you already have. Dubbing, some ribbing and deer hair, or thread, ribbing and deer hair, or cdc, Foam, or marabou for wing, peacock for an abdomen, thread or dubbing for a body. Google midge emergers (serendipity). Grease your leader and use the appropriate floatant for the wing and you're set (powder for cdc, I prefer paste for the rest).

I'd 2nd parachutes are not hard. I also believe they catch more fish. Your comparaduns should do well. Use a post material that you get ahold of (antron, zlon, calf tail, krystal flash, etc). the posts are more for you to see, than what the fish want. Color your white/grizzly hackle a dun, brown, etc to match what you want to tie. remember flies are a suggestion until you cross over into realistic.

If you have some materials already you likely can with a little ingenuity or home work cross over. Like using antron/kflash for a tail instead of biots, fibers, or hackle. The antron and krystal flash would insinuate a trailing shuck of a cripple or emerging stage closer to being a full adult.

I'm usually hesitant to post on threads like these.....as you'll find out there are many ways to skin this cat. Only you can decide what you're approach is going to be. getting as close to a recipe is a great place to start...if you're missing something use your imagination to replace it, or leave it out. I leave out wings in drys out of sheer laziness from time to time and still catch fish. Or tails in parachutes and they produce just fine. sometimes thinking outside the box is the difference between a skunk and fish!

Welcome to the wonderful world of tying!

Good advice from all. I usually purchase the hackle in the 100 packs as they are bit more affordable. Be careful though in regard to the size printed on the label. I find them sized a size or 2 too big. Bring a hackle gauge or ask to borrow one at your fly shop to check size.

As for wings, the grizzly hackle points are a real PITA. I just use a bit of grey or slate Hi-Viz and the fly looks great and the fish dont seem to care. You can even trim it after tying if the wings are too big (A common problem with new tyers)

Back