Dry Fly Floatant

T

tctrout

As most of us would agree, there is nothing worse than fishing a dry fly that won't float. There are lots of methods out there, some simpler than others, plus way too many products for us to all try, thus I wanted to share those that have worked for me over the years.

Please add your own thoughts and products that have worked for you, and enjoy the video!

TC

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8gyYuyRJohQ[/youtube]

I disagree, I often keep fishing a dry fly when it doesn't float, if the fish are still taking it. One of the biggest brookies I ever caught was a wild 14 inch brookie in a small mountain stream on a drifting sunken royal wulff. Troutbert is my witness.
edit;
I will dry the fly any way I can and apply new floatant after catching a fish. If that doesn't float the fly again then I put on a new fly that's dry.

I agree with Chaz. I often make a cast and figure I will bring the fly in to dry off because it has sunk. That last cast catches the fish. I have started to fish traditional wet flies more and more often because of this.

Albolene,is the best stuff I have found other than Jack's which is hard to get. You can get a lifetime supply at the drugstore for around ten bucks. I have been using it for years, try it you'll like it.

I have no clue about what's in the vid other than the first min or so. I rarely need to apply any floatant to my dries. Go out and buy a bottle of "Camp Dry" liquid silicone. pour a good amount in a bowl and add your dry flies. Stir um around a little. Make sure they are all soak'n up the juice, and walk away. Just leave um sit for a few hours, a day if you feel like it. Pour the Camp Dry back in the original bottle, thru a sieve. And set your flies on newspaper and let them dry off. Towards the end of the season you might have the throw a few in the powder can or run a little goop on um but it holds up pretty well for the most part.

i own a marble and granite countertop shop and when we seal marble before it leaves our shop we use a silicone impregnator.. gets down into the cracks and fishers of natural stone and marble.. we spray down our leather boots and it repels water like crazy.

im thinking of soaking some flies in it i have it by the gallon

SlingerFlyRods wrote:
i own a marble and granite countertop shop and when we seal marble before it leaves our shop we use a silicone impregnator.. gets down into the cracks and fishers of natural stone and marble.. we spray down our leather boots and it repels water like crazy.

im thinking of soaking some flies in it i have it by the gallon

A+

Back