Dry flies for Spring Creek

C

Colweb78

Hi all,

I’ve been getting into tying with this never-ending winter, and was hoping for recommendations for May/June dry flies for Spring Creek, SC/Bellefonte that aren’t too tough to tie.

I’m usually more of a nymph fisher but I got a 7’6 4wt Superfine for my 40th and looking to build up some flies specifically for that rod.

Thanks everyone!

Colweb78 wrote:
Hi all,

I’ve been getting into tying with this never-ending winter, and was hoping for recommendations for May/June dry flies for Spring Creek, SC/Bellefonte that aren’t too tough to tie.

I’m usually more of a nymph fisher but I got a 7’6 4wt Superfine for my 40th and looking to build up some flies specifically for that rod.

Thanks everyone!

No doubt sulphers will be the primary hatch in May-June.

Here are two patterns > a parachute dun and a cdc emerger that will be quite useful on Spring or really nearly every other trout stream in PA at that time.

Earlier, the sulphurs tend to be bigger and get smaller later in the spring. Try tying size 12 - 18. I suggest you start with tying the pattern in larger sizes and work your way down in size.

I often use the sulphur parachute pattern to imitate spinners when they fall. You can trim down the post a bit, but leave a small nub for visibility.

Good luck with both your tying and fishing.

Anything that resembles a sulfur. Catskill style, parachute style, compardun style (I carry all three.) Sulfur emergers.

I fish #14 sulphers there in spring.
I would also have some tan caddis and BWO's

Don't forget some crane flies. They're pretty dependable on Spring Creek.

Sulphurs and tan elk hair Caddis. One of my best days on Spring came from skating a Caddis.

Watched the Nyles video. Thought it was good. Why do people use that annoying background music????

The sulphur hatch is great on spring it's worth going for sure.

Back