dry flies; dry hooks

fishingnoob

fishingnoob

A thought came across my mind yesterday that I wanted to share on here to get everyones opinion. Kinda a newbie question but, dot you HAVE to use a dry hook to tie a dry fly?. I know that dry fly hooks are of course made for dry flies and are lighter, however I have some side 18 curved hooks that would work perfectly for some CDC caddis dries I would like to tie. Any input is appreciated. Thanks!

So long as the wire is not exceptionally heavy you should be fine. The abilities of modern fly floatants is usually enough to keep flies on top.

What goes into the fly you are planning to tie on a heavier hook can also matter in terms of how "floatable" it will be. A fly that is heavily hackled, especially if the hackle is palmered or a fly that has some foam in it will float much better on a heavier hook. I used to tie all my Stimulators, for example on a Mustad 3906B or the equivalent and had no problems keeping them topside as they were all heavily hackled or had a wrapped foam body or both.

To take your question one step further, I have used curved nymph hooks to tie emergers on, and they've floated fine. The materials you use have a lot to do with keeping the hook afloat, thus choose wisely and test your fly to see if it performs accordingly.

TC

fishingnoob wrote:
A thought came across my mind yesterday that I wanted to share on here to get everyones opinion. Kinda a newbie question but, dot you HAVE to use a dry hook to tie a dry fly?. I know that dry fly hooks are of course made for dry flies and are lighter, however I have some side 18 curved hooks that would work perfectly for some CDC caddis dries I would like to tie. Any input is appreciated. Thanks!

tctrout wrote:
To take your question one step further, I have used curved nymph hooks to tie emergers on, and they've floated fine. The materials you use have a lot to do with keeping the hook afloat, thus choose wisely and test your fly to see if it performs accordingly.

I tie my dries with these curved nymph hooks, and they float just fine so long as the tail is nice and longer than I would with a traditional dry fly straight shank hook. I've found the fish don't mind the longer tail one bit.

Some flies work better in the film anyway; a good example would be parachutes. I used to tie a lot of them using scud hooks for that reason, mostly in smaller sizes. They work well for BWO patterns for instance.

Back