Dry dropper rig

Wildbrowntrout

Wildbrowntrout

When tying the dry dropper rig/tandem rig, how much does the dropper line interfere with hooksets on the dry fly/first nymph, since it is tied to the hook? I want to try something like this for a small stream where the brookies love dries but the browns will only take nymphs and streamers. Thanks!

I don't think it is much of an issue. I have caught many fish on the top and dropper while fishing a tandem rig tied off the bend of the top fly. I usually catch more fish on the dropper but I personally think that the majority of the bugs that trout feed on are below the surface so that all makes good sense to me. Give it a shot, you will catch lots of fish.

dc410 wrote:
I don't think it is much of an issue. I have caught many fish on the top and dropper while fishing a tandem rig tied off the bend of the top fly. I usually catch more fish on the dropper but I personally think that the majority of the bugs that trout feed on are below the surface so that all makes good sense to me. Give it a shot, you will catch lots of fish.

Agree.

Ditto to what DC410 said.

GenCon

Agree with all above.

Tying the dropper on the bend works, but with some fly types (some parachute ties) the fly doesn't ride properly on the surface when tied at the bend. I often tie in the dropper on the eye. With smaller flies, I leave a long tag end on my clinch knot and tie in the dropper on the tag.

Thanks guys. I was out at hay the other day and saw some caddis coming off, and get some cases in my seine. I was also hoping to fish an elk hair with an emerger pattern behind it. Gets stocked again on the 4th. Hopefully the trout start on bugs by Saturday.

Back