Dropper rig fly box

T

td566

Hi everyone.
I’m thinking about getting one from Orvis or a similar item for both my dropper setups and possibly include a few 5x or 6x small fly rigs ( ants, midges etc) for easier tie ons when streamside.
Do you use one? Does it fit in pockets or chest packs conveniently? Are there other options?
Thanks. TD

I have two of these. I'm sort of in the middle on 'em. If you prep 'em for the next few days then they work well. OTOH, if you leave those setups in for a few weeks, things change and I'll find myself just tying stream side.

I tie a nail knot on the leader side and just slip the knot over my metal O ring...pull tight and go fishing.

So...prep time is the key.

I use Loon Rigging Foams. About $10 for 3 of them. Use them when I set up the night before. No complaints.

I have both, like the orvis one better, it protects the rigs as they are in a box. There are 5 pieces to wind your rigs on and you can get 2 rigs on each one if you set them up right. There are slots for the flies on the side and slots at the top to fasten your line. With loon you wind it around and I found it hard to secure the line and flies easily. Takes up a little more space than loon but like I said better protection. I thought the loon ones were better., in fact , I'm going to get another one. Just my opinion , watch a video how to set up the orvis one properly.

If you slice some small slits in the foam it keeps the end of the line locked in so it does not unspool.

No. Looks like extra stuff to carry that doesn’t need to be carried to me. I’d rather carry my two fly rigs unassembled and assemble them as needed. It really doesn’t take that much longer, does it? You’re carrying more to save yourself from tying a clinch knot or two.

Back