Drift Boat

Baron

Baron

I got issues, can you believe it? Not very old but plenty of arthritis and other issues. My Canoe is a 18' Tripper canoe, heavy and unstable and long. To get in and out of the Kayak meant creative collapsing on my part......worse to get out. However I wasn't ready to give up watersports yet. I live 1/4 mile off the Delaware just above Easton and daily it beckons me to be on it.
I began looking for plans to build a row boat to drift from Sandt's Eddy to Easton (5miles) and in the process I found Montana-Riverboats.com. You send Sandy $25 and he sends you an internet key to unlock the plans for three boats of your choice. You can build one or all three. Then you have his active forum to assist you in the building process.
I knew what I wanted and I've built ply boats before. I wanted a minimalist boat that was made from local materials. I wanted plans that were simple enough to cheat on and no one would know it. This little buffalo boat is a double transom boat.......the same as his 15 footer but with both ends cut off. This leaves you with a 12' boat with the same waterline length and initial buoyancy of the bigger boat but without all the length. Using free pieces of 3/4 inch ply for the transoms and 3 sheets of $15 - 3/8 ply for the sides and floor I came up with this pleasing minimalist Fly-fishermens dreamboat. Two men can easily fly fish from it. Usually its me and the Dog. Sometimes I use spinning gear with two lite friends and we collect fish for the freezer. The boat is very, very minimalist and one can easily build it to any level of finish they think is appropriate. All of the lumber came off my 32" Bandsaw mill except the gunnels which are dark western cedar. All seems are rounded epoxy and the whole boat is covered with fiberglass cloth and epoxy resin to protect from water damage. I built it and learned the basics of fly fishing during the same 5 week period (very quickly) where my hand was in a cast from a bone removal in the right wrist. I could push with the cast but I couldn't grasp anything. I learned from scratch to cast with the left hand and now I'm ambidextrous.
The exterior paint system I used is very technical :-D, whatever is on sale at Home Depot. It dries more slowly than epoxy paint but tears don't well up when bang-clanging around in the stump field or when scraping my way down the Delaware during low water events.
I had a naval architect do an appraisal on it and with his stamp of approval he ran it into Harrisburg and they promptly issued a title and registration. Placed on an old trailer I can take it to any state in the union. Its around 300 pounds loaded.
Wherever I go people complement it and I must say I like it allot as well. Its made for rivers and turns on a dime so don't expect a rowing and tracking wonder like some old New England Whitehall. It does exactly what it was intended to do and at 65" wide is very nice to stand and fish from.
Many family member have used the boat and I hope to add auxiliary power and a fish finder this year. Below are a few photos for your enjoyment. It has taken me to places that are special in both salt and fresh water.
My name is Don Tyson. See the build on Montana-Riverboats.com last summer.

Moderator I forgot to place this in the Gear section. sorry.

Attachments

• IMG_4383.jpeg
    IMG_4383.jpeg
    116.7 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_4392.jpeg
    IMG_4392.jpeg
    64 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_5978.jpeg
    IMG_5978.jpeg
    61 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_6194.jpeg
    IMG_6194.jpeg
    37.2 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_6193.jpeg
    IMG_6193.jpeg
    34 KB · Views: 8
Its an easy build but I'll take the compliment, thanks and Happy Holiday!

Very nice boat and enjoyed reading about you building it.

That's quite the accomplishment there Baron. My father was a carpenter and as I get older I've often wished I would have paid more attention to learn his wood working skills. However, at the time I had no appreciation for his craft.
Kudo's to you on a beautiful build.

coyoterahn wrote:
That's quite the accomplishment there Baron. My father was a carpenter and as I get older I've often wished I would have paid more attention to learn his wood working skills. However, at the time I had no appreciation for his craft.
Kudo's to you on a beautiful build.

Coyote,
Not to worry. Plywood and epoxy are your friends in small craft building:
-Cut out floor
-cut out transoms
-cut out and bend sides over simple form.
-Pet the dog and coat hull with fiberglass and epoxy
-install the hospitality features
-paint
-Launch day

With title, marine survey and report, registration, and all materials about $900 spent.

At some point I'll get longer oars.

Attachments

• IMG_3871.jpeg
    IMG_3871.jpeg
    44.6 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_3879.jpeg
    IMG_3879.jpeg
    67 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_3888.jpeg
    IMG_3888.jpeg
    79 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_3944.jpeg
    IMG_3944.jpeg
    85.8 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_4017.jpeg
    IMG_4017.jpeg
    98.1 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_4166.jpeg
    IMG_4166.jpeg
    83.8 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_4197.jpeg
    IMG_4197.jpeg
    63.8 KB · Views: 7
Very cool! Ever take it on the Lehigh or any other bigger water?

I have the wrong Oars for strong waters but someday I will correct that. I actually had both the lehigh and Delaware in mind when building this. Then I discovered Submerged Stump fields at many regional lakes and with that respired my passion for Panfish. This summer the Lehigh was pretty darn low and I don't know if it would've made through the Gap.
theoriginalnickyp wrote:
Very cool! Ever take it on the Lehigh or any other bigger water?

Nice, Baron. I love these kinds of DIY project.

It was a fun but practical project.

Built one of the Spira drift boats years ago. Not difficult. If I did another I’d glass tape and epoxy the seams but just paint the rest. The glass cloth and epoxy is a messy pita. Your boat is perfect.

John, If I do it again I'd glass the inside of the sides while they're laying flat. Maybe event the outsides. Then assemble, tape and fair the tape outside only. It would go so faster. But Im afraid to say that this was 5 weeks of moving along. No focus on fancy joinery although I also didn't try to muck it up. I did use plastic sheeting and blue tape to protect from drips. It should last year with a little touching up hare and there.
Spira's designs are simple enough but this is even simpler.
Best Wishes for you and any boats in your future.

Back