Dreaming of Grannoms

boss_steb

boss_steb

Hello All:

With all the cold and snow here in SWPA....I started thinking about grannom hatch on the Little J in April...

I am trying to sit down and tye the nymph pattern, emerger, and best imitation for the adult...Is the grannom the same as or similiar to the rychophellia green caddis pattern.

I hope this makes sense...any suggestions on patterns to cover the spectrum...would be greatly appreciated...

Last year I fished a black elk Hair Caddis pattern size 16 and did pretty well on top...but what about other suggestions...

Boss

Boss........my favorite all time grannom imitation is one Bob Clouser had in his shop when i started going there in 79. Hook size was 14 , 16 , 18 (i got to the point where i'd just use pretty much only 18 , just tie the bigger body on the smaller hook , floats better , longer) Oh yeah , i'm talking about the adult , dry , version. I change up the shades and hackle colors a little here and there cause i think there is a slight range of color and size from here to there. The hackle starting at bend first , i tie in but first which will cause the fibers to face front , color from dark to light dun , browns , even a badger version , the body is the fibers 2 , 3 , 4 of em from a turkey fan tail feather , the long ones , wrapped like you would peacock herl (i tie the fibers in tip first) , you can vary up the color on this too , even use the long fibers from the bustard feathers for a lighter version , the wing is the waterproof hair , the stiff , long guard hairs from the back of a groundhog/woodchuck/whistle pig/ground grizzly , model 76 gamemaster 16 shot .22 pump with 4 power redield scope purchased from one of your homeys in Newport my buddy Jess. Anyhow , wrap turkey fibers to about 3/4 way to eye tie off wrap hackle forwrd from bend to same spot as fibers trim both add groundhog wing (i use a .22 casing to stack the groundhog hair) There is not much more fun than a good grannom hatch and getting them lookin up. HAVE FUN BOSS..........IT WON'T BE LONG NOW

boss - the grannom is darker than the rhyocophila.
I do well with a fluttering caddis style of fly - #14.

chocolate brown dubbing body
brown deer hair wing, tied tent style
2-3 turns brown hackle collar just behind the hook eye

dryflyguy..........sounds like a winner , don't forget to give it a little twitch Boss , gets their attention.

Ok...is it April yet?

Boss, we have basically the same hatch here. We call it the Mother's Day hatch. Over the past few seasons the pattern that has been the most productive for me is the Spotlight Caddis. Here is a pic of it. I am sure that a little diiging will produce a recipie for it. http://www.orvis.com/store/product.aspx?pf_id=46C0

I like the looks of that one flybop , the chenille trailing like that is cool lookin THANKS

I like the looks of that fly...I would struggle tying it...parachutes seem to tie me in knots...

I think I might buy a few and give them a whirl...thanks..

Boss

Flybop - that looks like a Klinkhammer caddis?

dryflyguy wrote:
Flybop - that looks like a Klinkhammer caddis?

That's orvis for ya... change a basic pattern a bit, give it a fancy name, and charge 2 bucks a pop.

I also like the burnt tipped extended chenille body.

I ran into a HUGE caddis hatch last year at the Neshannock on the first day of trout. It was a snowstorm. I, however, didn't catch a single fish on a caddis pattern. SJW was the ticket that day... boy are stockies dumb.....

Here's some pics. (still don't know if they were grannoms, or another caddis)

Attachments

• PIC_0095.JPG
    PIC_0095.JPG
    436.7 KB · Views: 6
  • PIC_0096.JPG
    PIC_0096.JPG
    715.4 KB · Views: 4
MMMMMMMMMM. I know where that is. I did really well right there this summer.

My buddy hooked a caddis larve right around the next corner there. real bright green little guy. I went right home and tied some up. . . No luck.

I wish it was a beautiful sunny day and I was standing right there instead of working.

Millertime wrote:

My buddy hooked a caddis larve right around the next corner there. real bright green little guy. I went right home and tied some up. . . No luck.

That help's ryan's case for thinking they were grannoms.

I don't do well on the larvae either.

Anyone use the green grannom larvae with success?

Yes- for those that nymph.

Attachments

• grannomfishdestroyer.jpg
    grannomfishdestroyer.jpg
    6.8 KB · Views: 3
try a cased caddis instead. They live in the brown leaf square cases. the fish rarely see them out of their case.

i had a dream last night that i was fishing a bow hatch and couldnt catch one and my brother was using a huge and i mean huge mayfly that was about the size of a dobson fly and couldnt keep his line in the water i was so frustrated ive been annoyed all day i think that had something to do with it lol

Flip...

It was a dream right? Maybe a forshadowing of things to come...don't you love it when i spread my ray of sunshine on to the scene...

I just think you need a day on the water....

Boss

lol i hope that will answer it a day i need more like a week on the water on the foreshadowing of things to come thing i am not so much a beliver of fate as i am a beliver of a man controls his own destiny but i do need to practice casting you you cold be right until i get back into the swing of things

Back