Downs Chest Box and some gear pictures

whitefly

whitefly

I am not posting this to brag or anything. Most of my gear is inexpensive or given to me. As mentioned in another post here my friend from Ohio recently sent me a Downs Chest Box from E. Hille's Angler's Supply House that he did not care for. Well, here is the box with some of my flies, flies from friends and fly shop flies:

downschestboxandreels1-1.jpg

The reels are, from left to right:

Martin Mountain Brook Large Arbor from ebay - $35.00 new. A really nice reel, exceptional for the price!

Cabela's Prestige Plus Spare Spool and Mid arbor reel. Also a very good reel for the money.

Orvis Rocky Mountain Large Arbor reel. A very, very nice reel also given to me by my buddy from Ohio.

My very first fly reel that I purchased at the Gander Mountain store in Chambersburg, Pa., a Redington Red.Fly I feel in love with this classic designed reel.

O.K. I will put this up here too. The rod was built from scratch by Andrew Manchester. It is a 5' 2.5", 2.2oz, 5wt very fast banty bamboo he has called The Forget Me Not. It has a gorgeous hand carved reel seat (from cork) and beautiful lavender wraps:

IMGP0311.jpg

I got that beautiful rod off of ebay last Christmas for less than $100.00 shipped! My rods run the range from this and an Orvis Clear Water to my beloved Eagle Claw fiberglass!

Like I said I am not rich nor trying to brag. I do not believe in the my gear is better than your gear trap that lots of folks fall into. It is proof of what good hard work, genuine love of friends and patience can bring to a person. Perhaps Yogi Berra would say "You don't have to be rich to be rich". Hope you all enjoyed the photos.

wf,
Nice photos. I love my Downs Box. I purchased it in 1984 and it has performed flawlessly to this day - and I am tough on equipment. I didn't care for the bright green color so it's been painted and modified a bit as well as needing new foam but has really been great.

Great Friend! Got any spares!!

My son has done a modification to an insert in his Williams & Joseph pack. It is just fine enough to be used forever without losing a fly. We'll definitely need to market the idea in the form of a fly box. If it ever comes to pass I'll send you a demo and you can tell us what you think.

What a great friend. Great Goodies!!

wetnet wrote:
Great Friend! Got any spares!!

My son has done a modification to an insert in his Williams & Joseph pack. It is just fine enough to be used forever without losing a fly. We'll definitely need to market the idea in the form of a fly box. If it ever comes to pass I'll send you a demo and you can tell us what you think.

What a great friend. Great Goodies!!

Cool! Thanks folks. I would have responded earlier but I bought one of those registry fix it packages for my pc and it fixed it all right! First time in over two years I had a crash.
:(

Back