Down the Eastern and up the Black Brandywine

Mariner

Mariner

Though not a FF book per se, this is a definitive traveler's account of a humble river with a rich history.

So much about the Brandywine of late is psuedo-pastoral greenwash of old money hold-outs and McMansion-dotted "countryside" as the backdrop for wine tastings and other alleged accoutrements of the Good Life.

Good old Google Books brought me Down the Eastern and up the Black Branch of the Brandywine published in 1912.

I've been trying to canoe the whole shebang in pieces and this came just in time as I'm scheming for my next section.

Enjoy, Chester County historians.

A gold mine of old books from Google and Archive.org. And depending on the Pdf, you can search them fast. I don't know how the used bookshops stay in business.

i just told mariner that I found on Google Books another MacElree book called Along the West Branch of the Brandywine. I have converted both books to a PDF with searchable text. If any member wants them send me a PM with a snail mail address. By the way MacElree confirms that as of 1906 thhere were native trout in the Brandywine.

amazing finds! i'm going to read both. i spend alot of time in and around the east and west branches of the brandywine and consider them my homewaters. it'll be very cool to read about folks who walked them 100 years ago.

Back