Douglas Fly Rods and Reels

billfrech

billfrech

Has anyone tried Douglas fly rods or reels? They are very nice looking and I was wondering if anyone had actually fished with them.

They're made by the people who run the Douglaston Salmon Run on the Salmon River in NY.

I believe that one of the owners is the former president of Greys and a founder of Redington and when he left Greys he took one of the major Hardy/Greys rod designers along with him. A few of us are receiving demos of their 10ft and 11ft nymphing rods to try. Looking forward to trying one.

SBecker,

Could you give us a review? I am starting to look for a longer light action nymphing rod. Thanks!

I had the opportunity to cast there new, not released yet, mountain stream fishing rod at the Somerset Fly Tying Show. It was light and very flexible. I would love one for the small streams in our area. It is supposed to come out at about $350.

billfrech wrote:
I had the opportunity to cast there new, not released yet, mountain stream fishing rod at the Somerset Fly Tying Show. It was light and very flexible. I would love one for the small streams in our area. It is supposed to come out at about $350.
I didn't try one other than waving it about, but they were awful nice with a unique look and petite feel.
Mike B

Their reel that looks like a Hardy Perfect looks ok. I think it's made somewhere in NY.

I thought I read that they were making their rod blanks in house, but the rods they have for sale right now look like typical imported rods.

I would not support this company, or anything else associated with the Barclays or the DSR, but the made in NY hardy perfect looking reel looks nice. If/when they start making their own rod blanks, they might come out with some nice rods.

According to the CEO, Jim, they are making their rods in the same factories Hardy uses in Korea. However, they have plans to make some innovative rods in the US within a couple of years.

The reels are made in NY and seem really nice (pun intended).

Only the reel that looks like the Hardy Perfect is made in NY, the other reel is imported.

I'd bet the factories in Korea that make Hardy Rods make quite a few different brands in addition to Hardy.

Here's the website:

Douglas Outdoors

Right click, click view image to see full size:

DFX Rods $325 - $450
dxf_group_21.png

DFH Rods $159 - $296
dhf_group_21.png

Argus $395 to $450
B2RXgRJIUAAE2zz.jpg:small

Nexus $250 - $295
nexus58web1.png

Assuming they will be at the Somerset show, they will be getting a lot of attention.

First off, I commend the Douglass company for the efforts to bring the manufacturing to the USA
Second, Tom Murphy seems to be a very good representative and developer of fly rods. For example, take a look at the Hardy Zenith fly rods.
I stopped by the Douglas booth at the Somerset show, and the new Upstream series rods jumped out and caught my interest right away.
They are beautifully designed, very light in the hand and nicely built.
The casting pool was occupied at the time, so I did not have the opportunity to cast them. I look forward t lining one and fishing it in the future.
I had the opportunity to look at the reels. The reels that are currently being manufactured in the USA. are of the finest that I have ever seen. However, they are not inexpensive. Nevertheless, if you have the means to purchase one of these USA made reels, please have a good look at them and give consideration.These guys are fly fishing people and deserve serious consideration.

i own a 10' 2wt douglas and love it. its butt section is a touch stiffer than the greys (which really helps fighting bigger fish) but its tip is still very soft. Ive caught fish over 20" on it, and didnt feel outgunned. if ya have any questions feel free to shoot me a pm

Back