Donegal Creek

MD_Gene

MD_Gene

I fished Donegal Creek about 10 days ago. The first time in about 15 years. It seems to have changed a lot. I walked down from Rt 772 and had to climb a few fences. Also had to dodge some cows on the way back. I recall that there were many more "foot ladders" available to get over fences then there are now? Or was I fishing the wrong section? How accessible is the creek if one starts further downstream?

I did manage to catch a few trout and lost a nice one but the effort required was more than I remembered.

Any insights as to accessibility and getting over fences is appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

I think most people park on Donegal Creek Road off of Rt. 23. I live less than 10 miles away, and worked in Marietta for 29 years. In all that time I fished the Donegal twice. Like you like a lot of effort and to me not worth it.

The foot ladders were mostly destroyed in the flood of 2011 (I think..). We (the Donegal Fish Conservation Association) are working with an Eagle Scout to get some built and put on the stream. Hopefully before the season ends. As for accessibility, you two nailed the main points.

Used to be a beautiful stream.

They should change the name to Weed Choked Mud Hole Creek.

Foxtrapper - we're always looking for volunteers and/or input. We'd love to have you at one of our meetings - back room of Shanks every third Monday. Streamside usually during the summer. Hit me up if you need directions or more info.

Back