Does the Game Changer really work?

• Thread starter LongLineRelease
  • Start date
L

LongLineRelease

It occurred to me recently that I’ve never caught a fish on the Game Changer Streamers that I’ve tied. This point stuck with me since these flies take a lot of time and expense to tie. Thinking about this I did some research and saw in other forums that GCs are Intended to be fished in still or slow water and not moving water. I do most of my fishing in moving water. The action of the ones I tie is nice but nothing extreme, just a little sway. On top of that they are miserable to cast when wet and don’t want to sink even on a sink tip line.

So my question is, does anyone have regular luck fishing these in moving water, especially for trout?

I don't tie or fish game changers, so take this for what it's worth. . .

I do tie and fish a variety of sophisticated streamers with jointed body components for both trout and warm water species. In my experience, they work quite well in drawing aggressive hits but the hook-up ratio can be poor. For trout, you need a hook at the rear, or at least rear-half, of the fly. Game changers with a single, short shank hook at the front will miss a lot of trout and esocids (it will stick better on bass). Flies designed to swim with a wiggle do tend to work better in slower water and tend to spin or flip over in current. Even spin fishermen know that a lipped minnow plug or crankbait will not work properly if pulled hard in current and their lip system is more stable and rugged than many jointed flies.

Anyway, I guess all I've got to contribute to this thread is a suggestion that you use GCs in slower water and when you're in enough current maybe switch up to more conventional designed streamers like a zoo cougar or marabou muddler.
And make sure your trout streamers have hooks positioned near the rear.

Don’t know how good they work for trout since all mine are as big as trout and resemble them.

How big are the ones you’re using for them.

Attachments

• 0771D985-6AAE-4612-8674-ECA3314A6FAE.jpeg
    0771D985-6AAE-4612-8674-ECA3314A6FAE.jpeg
    64.4 KB · Views: 17
I've had strikes from big browns on them, but the hookups are not translating.

I have yet to try to them on bigger water though.

They may work better for warmwater species than they do trout. I have no data or other sources to back that up as it's just my general impression of them.

Solitariolupo wrote:
Don’t know how good they work for trout since all mine are as big as trout and resemble them.

How big are the ones you’re using for them.

Mine are about 2 to 3 inches with two articulation points

I bought (not tied) one at the start of this warm water season for the first time ever. As soon as it touched water, it was uncastable with the 8 wt I use for bass / large streamer fishing. I could've chucked it with a spinning rod. Still not sure exactly what style of 14 wt would be needed to fish the damn thing.

They are a slow sinking. Moving water might take a little more weight to get them down faster but since all I fish is moving waters. The way I fish is cast in faster water and then into the deeper holes and just let it sit and slowly sink.

For trout I would keep them about 2in. Maybe one articulated shaft. Another is a bigger thicker hook.

As for what material you’re using. Any body wrap don’t wind it side by side on the hook. When tying. Leave spaces between each wrap.

When I see photos of game changers on the internet, the vast majority of them are way way over dressed which leads to them being exceptionally heavy to cast. That's not the fault of the pattern it's the fault of the tier, commercial ties included. It takes a good bit of practice to get the taper correct too.

I would also not consider a fly with 2 articulation points to be a game changer. You need 5, 6 7 articulation points to get the action Chocklett designed. If that means getting shorter shanks, get shorter shanks.

They work well for all species, trout included, but I don't tie very many because of how long each fly takes to me to make. I've had best success with bucktail changers for musky & micro changers for trout.

Buddy of mine uses them for Steelhead with success.

I only have a few because they take so long to tie and haven't fished them all that much, but I know a couple of guys that use them all of the time and catch a lot of big trout with them.

Sure they work! Chocklett, yes, very good design. Alter to your desires! That's the key. Hook sizes, various materials, colors. never ends.

But for most, we realize, un thought of.

I see this as Musky, Pike, Saltwater. Big Trout, Just where is the next Big Trout in Pa.

Perfect gimmick, stock them! Draw the crowd! Who cares about the water?

Support Trout Unlimited, limit Name Brand Donations. Ah, go with the public, the me and you. We always were asked to follow, time and time again.

We followed and never were mentioned. Regular people. Big thanks is always given to the Chemical Co., Mining Co., Oil Co., Coal Co., Steel Works, Iron Works, but what about Mom, Dad, Sister and Brother fishermen.

I propose all the above thank us, Right Now! Shove is coming for clean! I hope we do not shove you to a corner of no return!

New borns, 12 year olds, Graduates, just getting started, seen some, did some and yes still getting some!

I look forward to the "NEW". My generation did not do that bad. We stole everything, left you nothing. My faith, as i tried, lost, taken and stolen. I never gave up. I found a part, piece, spot!

Start a new, Peace, Spot and Part!

your friend---Maxima12

Thanks everyone for your input on this much appreciated

Back