Does fighting big fish on an undersized rod change rod action?

B

Buggy

While fishing for crappie today at Cross Creek Lake I hooked into and landed a 36”+ carp on a 7 1/2’ Pro Graphite St. Croix rod. The carp had to weigh 20+ lbs and took 35 minutes to land. I was excited to land such a big fish on this rod, but the action seemed slower after landing the fish. Did the fight of this large fish make the action of the rod slower due to the 35 minute arc in the rod? Sorry I don't have a pic of the fish, but it was more fun than I have ever experienced on a fly rod.

I will post a picture of the fly with the recipe in the warmwater carp thread after I tie a few more. So far this year, this fly has caught stocked trout, smallmouth bass, largemouth bass, rock bass, crappie, bluegill, carp, and chubs.

With graphite, I doubt it. I'm gonna bet you were just fatigued.

I know I was fatigued, but the rod seems to flex more towards the handle. I left after cathing a couple 10" crappie. They did not feel right after catching the carp. My line cast better, it's been awhile since it's been stretched.

With a cane rod, a fighting an oversized (for the rod) fish can definitely put a set in it, and weaken some of the "power fibers", but I've never heard of it with graphite.

I suppose it's possible, but I'm guessing that gfen had it right. It's you who were suffering fatigue, not the rod.

Congrats on the carp, btw. I've take carp up to about 10 lbs on a 4 weight, tweny must be outrageous.

it will if the rod breaks in half!!

Thanks for the responses, I'll have to get out and fish the rod sometime this week.

My understanding of how graphite is structured is that it would shatter if damaged to the extent that it could have changed rod action. It's not really malleable.

Back