Do you use a Strike Indicator??If not,Why?

S

Scratch

I am a long time fly fisher (old school ,Wet Flys, Soft Hackle) but not an expert by any means. Having said that my biggest problem is fishing Nymphs. I can catch fish on Nymphs on occasion without using a strike indicator but have been told by some so called experts that using a strike indicator is the way to go. Am I getting to old to learn a new game???

Its not like they're expensive...try 'em. If you don't like them, don't use them again. I use them sometimes, and sometimes not. Anyone who says that using them or not using them is the only way or the right way is full of it.

I feel the same way, if i do use one i like to use the kind that you can slip on and off with out undoing your setup

i like to use bio strike, you can mold it to any shape you like, it comes in several colors, and its easy to put on and off without messing with your setup. in the summer months i like use a big grasshopper as my strike indicator, i often catch trout on the hopper as well as the nymph. i do like to always use an indicator thought, don't know why, i just always have something

This comes up so often, I should save my reply somewhere and paste in. :-D

I don't see the decision to use or not use an indicator as a religious choice. Indicators can help out a lot in the right conditions and they can really hinder you in the wrong ones. The key is reading the water properly and picking the right strategy. Something you probably already do as an experienced fly fisherman.

I don't see a big difference in the type of indicator either. I was in a class taught by a famous fly fisher here in Central PA who railed on strike indicators. Then he taught us to rig up our leaders with a red butt section, so we could see the hesitation of a trout taking our nymphs... sounded like an indicator to me. I also consider "hopper/dropper rigs" and all the other things we come up with are indicators.

One of my favorites is to use a green weenie or glo bug as a point fly with a realistic nymph. I like this because; you don't have to worry about the uneven-ness of the stream bottom, you can use high-stick techniques, you can use it in still water or pocket water and the nymph is easy to see in several feet of water.

I don't like using traditional indicators in slack water, as I feel it interferes with presentation. A nymph under a dry is much better there.

I don't like indicators for pocket water, as the bottom rises and falls too much. Also the currents can create slack in the leader, in which case an indicator can mask the strike.

Very seldom do I use a indicator,just watch the line,when in doubt....set the hook,many times when nympthing the take is so light you won't see it.

I gave strike indicators a go about 15 years or so ago. I found myself getting lazy and missing a lot of fish. Keep in mind that you have to keep changing the length of the indicator depending on the depth of the water to get the drift that you want (or should I say correct drift). When I’m fishing nymphs I’ll go through a boat load of nymphs and split shot because if you’re not in contact with the bottoms you are going to pass up a lot of fish.

Joe E.

Tom Gamber wrote:

“I use them sometimes, and sometimes not. Anyone who says that using them or not using them is the only way or the right way is full of it.”

I agree 100% with Tom. Those who never use indicators are missing out – those who always use indicators are also missing out. I understand there are those who don’t use them because of fly fishing tradition - no problem there.

Using a dry fly as an indicator is a great way to fish both top and bottom in relatively shallow water and slower currents, or presenting your dropper fly mid depth.

I use an indicator when fishing across several current speeds. It allows me to mend to the indicator and maintain a good drift across the stream.

I don’t use an indicator in deep, faster runs because it is not practical because of the weight of the flies and shot needed to reach the bottom. Czech nymph tactics sometimes work well in that situation.

I don’t use an indicator when sight fishing.

Also to me, there is a distinction between an indicator and a bobber. Bright colored leader or small pieces of floating fly line attached to the leader are sometimes called indicators. To me an indicator, in the strict sense is a bobber. It has enough buoyancy to float above the fly and shot. The bobber allows you to mend to the indicator.

I’ve tried all types of indicators – foam, yarn, and putty. I find myself using putty most often. I can easy make it the size and shape I need, and move it anywhere on the leader.

One of the most important things I find is to make sure the indicator is 1½ - 2x the water depth. Adjust the weight to reach the bottom and make fine adjustments to the indicator from there. I see fly fisherman with their indicator 8 or 10’ up the leader near the fly line. With all that distance from the fly, and the slack in between with the heavy leader being dragged in the current, strike detection is near impossible, and the drift is ruined with the drag. Use more weight not distance from the indicator to reach the bottom. Ideally I like to have all tippet in the water and have the indicator at or near the end of the taper of the leader. The thinner tippet sinks quicker and reduces drag.

No shame for me using an indicator. I try to find the most effective way to catch trout given the conditions. Part of the fun for me is experimenting with different rigs and methods to find the most effective. Good luck.

Besides, somedays I need all the help I can get.....either I'm dumber than everyone else, or the fish are smarter than everyone claims them to be.

I believe there is a time and a place for both (however, I will use one more than not).
If the water is fast, say riffles, I will remove it; the fish is going to hook itself almost as soon as if bites the fly.
In slow water I will use one and look for any twitch or pulsation, i.e. rings coming off the indicator (pulsating rings are a dead give away that it is a fish).

I do have more knots when I use stike indicators, and they are pretty vicious bird nest type knots. I think it has something to do with casting that relatively heavy object with trailing flies; it acts like a grapppling hook. I hate indicators for that.

I use them very frequently for nymphs and caddis/midge pupa patterns. I've found them to be almost required to fish my favorite midge, the zebra...

The only subsurface flies that I almost never use one for are globugs... I do more of a czech nymphing style with them. I plan on fishing regular nymphs more this way in the coming year.

I use strike indicators all the time (unless i'm using a dryfly with no dropper), whatever the water conditions. However, I change what type of indicator I use (as well as where its placed) based on the conditions of the water. If the water is fast I go with yarn indicators, if its slow, I'll place a small bit of puddy on the line, etc.

I have great success with using indicators, but do not reley on them exclusively when nymphing (about 1/4 of my catches come from "intuitively" yanking on the line when its going through an area that seems like prime trout feeding area).

What I have discovered is that in order to effectively use a strike indicator, you have to take into account how the line is behaving under the water. I set up my indicator based on the desired drift I want, and if I get it right, an indicator can detect even the slightist strikes.

Indicators, like weight, tippet, and fly selection, need to be constantly adjusted to fit the conditions of the water and the fish. I don't think many people realize this, and as a result miss a lot of strikes when using them.

Back