Do i need tropical fly line?

icyguides

icyguides

I booked our honeymoon to Andros for late oct/early november next year. While it's not a fishing trip i would like to do a little fishing at some point :cool: . The water temperature will probably be about 80. Do i need a tropical fly line or can i get away with something like a general saltwater line? I'll buy a tropical line if it's best, but i'd like to have something that i can get more use out of.

Icy,

I'd highly recommend Rio/SA Bonefish or a similar line. Water temps should be well over 70 at that point and any coldwater line will be more challenging to cast accurately, which is the #1 skill while bonefishing.

-Ben

you could get away with a cold water line if its only a one time trip. especially if you already have a cold water line. If not I would look into a cheap weight forward line in the size you intend to fish. no worry for a one or 2 day trip for bones. more important is being able to cast distance and be within 3 feet of a target. any line can do this if you practice casting.

Use a orvis 25 off coupon and buy a tropical line . You can always use it to fish for bass when the water gets warm. I bought orvis bonefish line when I went down the keys and have used it serveral times bass fishing with no problems.

Fred, I ended up getting two lines at orvis. I couldn't use my coupon because the lines were on already on sale but it was still a pretty good deal. I got to test cast the lines which was really nice. I even got some casting advice from Dan at orvis in downingtown who was very helpful. I ended up getting a saltwater all arounder (the line on my 8wt was shot anyway) and a bonefish 3d.

icyguides wrote:
Fred, I ended up getting two lines at orvis. I couldn't use my coupon because the lines were on already on sale but it was still a pretty good deal. I got to test cast the lines which was really nice. I even got some casting advice from Dan at orvis in downingtown who was very helpful. I ended up getting a saltwater all arounder (the line on my 8wt was shot anyway) and a bonefish 3d.

That will work. So I searched on google and looks like they have allot of bones permit and dolphin there .Which sounds like a drag screaming good time.

If everything goes as planned I will be going back to the keys in the end of june for some tarpon . It would be nice to get into some bones and snook but from what im told the fishery has gone to crap after a cold front hit there a few years ago.

Back